Beano Poster Comic

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Beano Poster Comic

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, late 80s early 90s I think.

Phoenix, the Beano did it's own poster though.

dishes

Post by dishes »

Phoenix wrote:As I said earlier, the poster was advertising the book Dandy Beano - The First Fifty Years. Characters from The Beano, such as Pansy Potter, were obviously entitled to be in there as representatives of their comic. :roll:
But it was free with the Dandy (50th anniversary issue as I said), and was a Dandy poster featuring (on both sides) no other non-Dandy characters. I have it in front of me so I know. (Incidentally I see it is not all reprint either-there is a Steve Bright Brassneck strip which refers to the 50th anniversary so it must be new.)

It seems the fault is with the editors of that 50 Golden Years book- the snippets of Pansy Potter and Keyhole Kate used on the poster are taken straight from page 123 of the book- where you'll see Pansy Potter has been referred to as "DANDY strong girl Pansy Potter." (incidentally its the Charlie Grigg incarnation that's shown, I think.)
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

dishes wrote:
Phoenix wrote:As I said earlier, the poster was advertising the book Dandy Beano - The First Fifty Years. Characters from The Beano, such as Pansy Potter, were obviously entitled to be in there as representatives of their comic. :roll:
But it was free with the Dandy (50th anniversary issue as I said), and was a Dandy poster featuring (on both sides) no other non-Dandy characters. I have it in front of me so I know. (Incidentally I see it is not all reprint either-there is a Steve Bright Brassneck strip which refers to the 50th anniversary so it must be new.)
It could have been an edited reprint? or is it more than just mentioning the anniversary with the whole story say being based around it.

dishes

Post by dishes »

Look, I just know its not a reprint. Trust me.

Due to celebratory extras, there was no room for the regular Brassneck strip in the 50th anniversary issue so it was put on the back of the poster instead. it was drawn by the regular weekly artist (Steve Bright) and followed the then-usual pattern of Brassneck story at the time of him having any number of detachable spare heads. In this episode he marks the anniversary by wearing a '40s wartime head, a '50s rock n roll head, a '60s mop-top head, and an '80s Grace Jones head.
Then he laughs his head off reading the Dandy (featuring the then current issue).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

dishes wrote:It seems the fault is with the editors of that 50 Golden Years book- the snippets of Pansy Potter and Keyhole Kate used on the poster are taken straight from page 123 of the book- where you'll see Pansy Potter has been referred to as "DANDY strong girl Pansy Potter."
Digifiend wrote:Phoenix, the Beano did it's own poster though.
That's good research work, dishes, and the argument is very persuasive too. In addition, to give us the information that the strips are on page 123, you will have had to count the pages yourself as the book isn't paginated!! The absolute clincher might lie in an investigation of The Beano's own poster that Digi refers to. Were there any characters from The Dandy in that? If not, it's game, set and match to dishes.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

dishes wrote:It seems the fault is with the editors of that 50 Golden Years book- the snippets of Pansy Potter and Keyhole Kate used on the poster are taken straight from page 123 of the book- where you'll see Pansy Potter has been referred to as "DANDY strong girl Pansy Potter." (incidentally its the Charlie Grigg incarnation that's shown, I think.)
Hmm, sounds like a case of not doing the proper research, if the book itself misidentified the comic it was from. Wouldn't be the last time either.

dishes

Post by dishes »

I'm terribly sorry about my contributions to this thread last night, so pointlessly point-proving. It won't happen again I promise.

They're only comics...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

dishes wrote:I'm terribly sorry about my contributions to this thread last night, so pointlessly point-proving. It won't happen again I promise. They're only comics...
What have you got to be sorry about, dishes? You were enlightening us. That is what we are all trying to do on comicsuk. And by the way, nobody on here believes that a comic is only a comic. Cheer up. :) :cheers:

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Digifiend wrote:
dishes wrote:It seems the fault is with the editors of that 50 Golden Years book- the snippets of Pansy Potter and Keyhole Kate used on the poster are taken straight from page 123 of the book- where you'll see Pansy Potter has been referred to as "DANDY strong girl Pansy Potter." (incidentally its the Charlie Grigg incarnation that's shown, I think.)
Hmm, sounds like a case of not doing the proper research, if the book itself misidentified the comic it was from. Wouldn't be the last time either.
This british library article also says that Pansy Potter was in The Dandy, http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelprestyp ... ritcomics/ But its ridiculously out of date it says Buster and Twinkle are both still running and that would make the site at least eleven years out of date.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

1998 I reckon.
Desperate Dan, whose recent prospective retirement was cancelled after extensive coverage in the national press;
That's referring to his oil strike in the run up to the 60th birthday, which was in December 1997.