Billy Whizz

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

wayne thompson

Billy Whizz

Post by wayne thompson »

This page was supposed to appear in the Beanomax,featuring Lewis hamilton. Unfortunately it was never published.
Attachments
Billy Whizz[1].jpg

Digifiend

Re: Billy Whizz

Post by Digifiend »

Thanks for posting it. Do you know why it was rejected?

wayne thompson

Post by wayne thompson »

Digifiend wrote:Thanks for posting it. Do you know why it was rejected?
I have no idea why it was never published.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Maybe it it was during his first season when he came very near winning it! Then he would have been certifiably "fast". I don't think he's had brilliant success since then

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

He DID win the F1 championship! :D

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

He did? Shows how well I followed it :oops:

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I'm surprised this was never printed, Wayne - I think you did a really good job on it. I've tried drawing F1 cars a few times and it's quite tricky, but you captured the look of the McLaren really well while still fitting it into your own style. Your caricature of Lewis Hamilton is good as well, and I'm still impressed by how much you make your version of Billy look like Mal Judge's - the Billy in the seventh panel in particular looks a lot like his style.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

what is to stop them printing it in the future seeing as it is finished or maybe even put it in the weekly removing the word max.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I think it's unlikely to be printed now it's been shown on the Internet, but on top of that a few things have changed in F1 since this strip was drawn. The cars now look quite different from the McLaren car Wayne drew, which matches the 2007-2008 specification (the cars now have taller, narrower rear wings and lower, wider front wings).

Also, perhaps more importantly, any F1-related comic strip now would probably include Jenson Button as well now that he's Lewis Hamilton's McLaren team-mate and a world champion in his own right.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's right - Button won the year after Hamilton! :D