Minnie The Minx story?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

matrix

Minnie The Minx story?

Post by matrix »

Can anyone help recall a Minnie the Minx story.

All i can remember is that she is waiting for a sports hero that is padded up,when the team leave they are all muscular except her hero, which she is very disappointed with.

My grey matter cannot recall any more info! Only that it is probably dated somewhere from the mid to late sixties.

Unfortunately when i reached a certain age i presumed that somebody else needed a beano education and i gave my collection away!

Digifiend

Re: Minnie The Minx story?

Post by Digifiend »

I recall a Dennis the Menace story with a similar premise. IIRC, Dennis likes an American footballer, Walter likes a musician. Dennis sees said musician (from the back), and mistakes him for the American footballer. But the football player turns out to be very slim without all the padding.

The Minnie one is well before my time and I haven't seen it in reprint, so I can't help you there.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Digifiend wrote:I recall a Dennis the Menace story with a similar premise. IIRC, Dennis likes an American footballer, Walter likes a musician. Dennis sees said musician (from the back), and mistakes him for the American footballer. But the football player turns out to be very slim without all the padding.

The Minnie one is well before my time and I haven't seen it in reprint, so I can't help you there.
That is a coincidence her hero was the same without the padding,was that a Dennis reprint?Maybe my memory is worse than i thought!

Im convinced it was Minnie waiting for his autograph.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I can recall another Dennis strip with a similar premise. In this one, he admired the film star Handsome Hank, and he asked his Dad why he was bald, skinny and had such awful teeth. He then went to an event where Hank was giving autographs, but he entered Hank's dressing room without permission where he asked a bald, skinny man where Hank was. The man then put on his wig and padded jacket, and put in his false teeth, and said he was Handsome Hank. Dennis was disgusted and went back home, letting his Dad sign his autograph book instead.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Reminds me of that Only Fools episode with the singer who can't pronounce his Rs singing Crying Over You with Del's girlfriend. He looks like Tom Jones on stage but in the dressing room he takes off his platform shoes, wig and a sausage from out of his trousers. Much to Del's surprise.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

There's also a Broons story with a twist on that when this swank gent comes in, takes off his padded jacket, his toup' and takes out his teeth to reveal a fairly average lad. Maggie is no' impressed, but Daphne tips her hat at the lad and is fair enough taken with him.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

And then there was the Blinky story where he mistakes the janitor for a film star.
"I really admire your work"
"Well oi do moi best..."

dishes

Post by dishes »

There was a Sparky People story along these lines too, reprinted in the final Sparky annual.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

felneymike wrote:And then there was the Blinky story where he mistakes the janitor for a film star.
"I really admire your work"
"Well oi do moi best..."
That's very funny!