A question about Johnny Bean

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

yanobandy

A question about Johnny Bean

Post by yanobandy »

I always find him as a bit of a bully, rather than a loveable character like Dennis or Minnie. What do you think?

Digifiend

Re: A question about Johnny Bean

Post by Digifiend »

A bully? I don't think that's the impression artist Laura Howell was trying to convey. Yes, he causes mischief, but he's definitely not like Cruncher Kerr.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

No, I wouldn't call Johnny Bean a bully. As Digifiend says, he was always more of a mischief maker, a bit like a rural version of Dennis, though it also became apparent that everyone else in his village bar one other person was insane (the other who in my opinion wasn't insane was No Effort Kid :wink: ).

As for Johnny's brother, Mean Dean Bean (who attended the 'Bad Boys School'), on the other hand...
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Jonny Whizz wrote:The other who in my opinion wasn't insane was No Effort Kid :wink:.
THE NO EFFORT KID! He was hilarious! I remember when he had a Gnasher's mask on in the white teeth competition and then he won! So funny! :D

And the Les Pretend story Laura drew (the final ever Les to be in the Beano that was new). Featured the 'No Effort' Kid with just a sign saying 'Dalek' on it in the Dalek Competition! :lol:

And who could forget the vegetable competition where he had a sign round his neck saying 'Pea'. :lol:

What a guy! :D

(I'd love to see Johnny Bean back, it was one of the best things in the Beano and I thought it was an amazing first strip for Laura! Could've been what made her so popular in the comic. My only two problems with the strip were the old man (the one who read the story) (He wound me up for some reason...) and Johnny's magical changing hair colour (Along with characters like Fred from Fred's Bed and Bananagirl from Super School (as well as Isobel's skin colour in Super School as well. Weird how the colours changed from brown to blonde in every other strip!) :|
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

I know, but Johnny Bean just seems a bit selfish and dosent like other people in my opinion.