Could anyone specify my first issue of the Beano?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

WizzKid97

Could anyone specify my first issue of the Beano?

Post by WizzKid97 »

Back in September 2007 I got my first Beano and loved it! The reason I wish for a specification is because I have since then forgotten where it went (I know it's in my collection somewhere but it's so big I'm not going to pull it all out so here's the easier option!)

Anyway, the first big clue was I remember the Dennis the Menace story, it was about Dennis nicking his Dad's tyre then having to go and pick up their auntie from the train station, it was definitely drawn by Jimmy Hansen.

Billy Whizz was drawn by David Parkins and was reprint material (I think it was the one where Whizzmouse stays up all night and Billy's not as fast in the morning.), Ball Boy was about the football pitches being flooded and them having to resort to blow football (I think).

Roger the Dodger was a Bob Nixon reprint about a race where Roger fixes a sail to it to help it go faster but then the fan operating it dies out. Freddie Fear is knocking on the door and the lion door knocker eats him and in Bea she has a babysitter and in the end the babysitter falls asleep instead of her. (these are the only ones I remember!)

If someone could identify the issue and tell me the content and artists that'd be brilliant! Thanks! :)
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Digifiend

Re: Could anyone specify my first issue of the Beano?

Post by Digifiend »

That's only a few issues before the "Meet the gang" cover redesign (which was issue 3404). The issue you're looking for, assuming the month is correct, would be between 3396 and 3400.

NP

Post by NP »

I remember the Bea story. I drew it on a Tuesday morning if that's any help.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

I cant help you there. I started getting it in May 2008. Issue 3433 i think it was, Dennis had a knot on his finger and was drawn by Jimmy Hansen, Billy Whizz was doing a rickshaw tour, The Bash Street Kids were doing a paper, Fred ended up with a soppy king in wales, and Singled Out was Danny. Do you remember that issue?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I can't help you there either, WizzKid. And as I can't come up with a very amusing pithy one-liner like NP, who is otherwise equally unhelpful to you, there is absolutely no point in my putting a post together. So I won't. So long as every one of the other 795 members who cannot help you resists the temptation to tell you so, you will not need to read their posts and be disappointed up to 795 more times. Go with Digi on this one, get your collection out, put them all in date or numerical order like the rest of us and you will soon have the answer to your question. It will be there, on top of the pile.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Do you not store your comics in issue order I did almost accidentally by piling one comic on top of another but some are in those beano binders now so its still easy to find them. They dont sell the Beano Binders anymore do they thats a shame i was thinking of getting some.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I can definitely help with this one. I'm sure the issue you are referring to is Beano number 3396, dated 1st September 2007. Having checked through the issue I can tell you that your recollection of the stories and artists for the strips you mentioned is spot on! :)

In any case, here are the full contents of the issue:
p1 Cover - Jimmy Hansen
p2 Contents (Find Your Faves)
p3-4 Dennis the Menace and Gnasher - Jimmy Hansen
p5 Advert
p6-7 The Numskulls - Barry Glennard
p8 Billy Whizz - David Parkins (reprint)
p9 Advert
p10-11 Minnie the Minx - Tom Paterson
p12 Gnasher and Gnipper - Barry Glennard
p13 Gnasher and Gnipper - Barry Glennard/Subscription Advert for Beano and BeanoMAX
p14 Ratz - Hunt Emerson and Laura Howell
p15 Freddie Fear - Dave Eastbury
p16-17 The Bash Street Kids - David Sutherland
p18 Bash Street Science
p19 Singled Out - Tom Paterson
p20-21 Beano Club
p22-23 Fred's Bed - David Parkins (reprint)
p24 Ball Boy - Dave Eastbury
p25 Pirates of the Caribeano - Barrie Appleby
p26 Robbie Rebel - Ken Harrison
p27 Robbie Rebel - Ken Harrison/Subscription Advert for Dandy Xtreme
p28 Roger the Dodger - Robert Nixon (reprint)
p29 Roger the Dodger - Robert Nixon (reprint)/Stripz (Duncan Scott)
p30 Gnasher and Gnipper - Barrie Appleby
p31 Bea - Nigel Parkinson
p32 Advert

Hope this helps!
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Jonny Whizz wrote:I can definitely help with this one. I'm sure the issue you are referring to is Beano number 3396, dated 1st September 2007. Having checked through the issue I can tell you that your recollection of the stories and artists for the strips you mentioned is spot on! :)

In any case, here are the full contents of the issue:
p1 Cover - Jimmy Hansen
p2 Contents (Find Your Faves)
p3-4 Dennis the Menace and Gnasher - Jimmy Hansen
p5 Advert
p6-7 The Numskulls - Barry Glennard
p8 Billy Whizz - David Parkins (reprint)
p9 Advert
p10-11 Minnie the Minx - Tom Paterson
p12 Gnasher and Gnipper - Barry Glennard
p13 Gnasher and Gnipper - Barry Glennard/Subscription Advert for Beano and BeanoMAX
p14 Ratz - Hunt Emerson and Laura Howell
p15 Freddie Fear - Dave Eastbury
p16-17 The Bash Street Kids - David Sutherland
p18 Bash Street Science
p19 Singled Out - Tom Paterson
p20-21 Beano Club
p22-23 Fred's Bed - David Parkins (reprint)
p24 Ball Boy - Dave Eastbury
p25 Pirates of the Caribeano - Barrie Appleby
p26 Robbie Rebel - Ken Harrison
p27 Robbie Rebel - Ken Harrison/Subscription Advert for Dandy Xtreme
p28 Roger the Dodger - Robert Nixon (reprint)
p29 Roger the Dodger - Robert Nixon (reprint)/Stripz (Duncan Scott)
p30 Gnasher and Gnipper - Barrie Appleby
p31 Bea - Nigel Parkinson
p32 Advert

Hope this helps!
Thanks Jonny! That really helped! I do believe that was the issue, glad to hear I got them all right! :D
NP wrote:I remember the Bea story. I drew it on a Tuesday morning if that's any help.
Thanks Nigel! :lol:
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page