Have you sometimes seen characters spouting weird things?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

yanobandy

Have you sometimes seen characters spouting weird things?

Post by yanobandy »

In an issue from 2000 i've got, in the Bea strip, when Walter was looking at the computer, Bea asked him "Whassat? Lemme on if it's Robbie Williams topless photos". It sounded awful strange coming from a Beano character! Have you seen instances like this in any issue you've got?

Tin Can Tommy

Re: Have you sometimes seen characters spouting weird things

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I dont have any comics from 2000 but issue number?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

yanobandy wrote:Have you seen instances like this in any issue you've got?
No, but I'm sure you can relax. At least she didn't want to see his carrot and peas.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:I dont have any comics from 2000 but issue number?
Issue 3040.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

Phoenix wrote:
yanobandy wrote:Have you seen instances like this in any issue you've got?
No, but I'm sure you can relax. At least she didn't want to see his carrot and peas.
That's not even funny.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

yanobandy wrote:That's not even funny.
Well it certainly is from where I'm sitting. I'm quite surprised you haven't spotted it actually because it's picking up a motif of your own that you consider funny so I had assumed that you would easily be able to relate to the connection.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Somebody once sent in a heavily-cropped picture to Viz that showed a boy getting something long, rounded and pale-coloured shoved in his mouth with a speech bubble saying "Let's see how you like it!".

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

felneymike wrote:Somebody once sent in a heavily-cropped picture to Viz that showed a boy getting something long, rounded and pale-coloured shoved in his mouth with a speech bubble saying "Let's see how you like it!".
I suppose that could have been an unripe carrot. It might have put Bea off the vegetable for life if she'd seen it at such a tender age. :D

tictak

Post by tictak »

In the 2001 Bash Street Kids annual, Plug, Wilfrid, Smiffy (!), Fatty, Spotty, Danny and Sidney of the normally tough BSK crewfall in love with a reserve teacher. They're so smitten they offer to clean the board and do long division, while Toots, the only girl of course, is very annoyed at this. It ends up with them all annoyed because she's going to get married. Next day, Toots is so happy to see Teacher back that she offers to do sums. I am annoyed by this story cos it seems out-of-character, soppy, and ridiculous. It was the only time i thought Toots was the best of the bunch.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Ernest used to constantly stalk Daisy :D

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Hate to bump a thread (Okay, that's probably a lie), but...

I remember a mid-90's dandy cover where Desperate Dan mentions that he has to follow Cactusman's orders, or "He won't give him his willie back". Boy, that would have ruined a few childhoods. I forget what this willie thing is, I'm guessing it was some sort of lucky charm or teddy or something. (This was during the time where Desperate Dan gradually began to become gradually more... Stupid, for want of a better term, which carried on into the 2000's)

I remember in the 2005 Dennis the Menace annual where Dennis, Gnasher and Walter are taking a hike, where walter sings this song about how he loves skipping merrily or something like that, where Dennis just replies with "That's a lot of bull, Walter" which Walter replies with "It is not! I love skipping merrily.." or whatever, but it turns out that Dennis is talking about an actual bull.
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered