Roger the Dodger pull-out - Beano issue #3623

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Jonny Whizz

Roger the Dodger pull-out - Beano issue #3623

Post by Jonny Whizz »

This week's Beano includes a 16-page Roger the Dodger pull-out, which includes several reprints, including what appears to be stories from the annual - I recognise the strip about the mouse on pages 1-4, which is from the 1994 Beano Book, and there seem to be too few frames per page to be from the weekly comic - and two Roger's Dodge Clinic sections (both of which feature other Beano characters, as opposed to suggestions from readers as was usually the case in the late 1980s).

However, looking at the Roger's Dodge Clinic pages, the artwork seems different from usual. I'm inclined to think that the strip on page 5 of the pull-out (featuring the Bash Street Kids) is the work of either Steve Bright or Jimmy Hansen - it certainly isn't Robert Nixon. However, I'm not sure about the Dodge Clinic featuring Ivy on page 11. It doesn't look like Nixon's work either, but I can't quite pin it to anyone else's style. Can anyone identify whose work it is?
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Roger the Dodger pull-out - Beano issue #3623

Post by AndyB »

Both are by Steve Bright, and from a Beano Annuals. I couldn't tell you which one for sure, but I'll go out on a limb and guess very very wildly... 1993? I don't know why I think that, and I could be completely wrong.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I know that I've seen all of that Roger material before. 1993 or 1994 sounds about right to me, especially taking into account the incorrect colours of Ivy's outfit (which is due to her strip having no colour back then).

Also, I see Pa Slobb turned up in Bananaman for the second week in a row - but they did try to explain him this time, when I expect originally he would've been referred to as a fellow Dandy character (having moved from Nutty just like Bananaman did).

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I have the 1993 and 1994 Beano books - the former doesn't contain any of the Roger strips in the pull-out (in the 1993 Beano book, Roger takes up the middle sixteen pages). The 1994 book does contain the strip with the mouse as I mentioned earlier, but I don't recognise any of the others.

My guess is that the other strips were from the 1990-92 books - the 1990 book was the first full colour annual, and the strips don't look as though they've been recoloured - with 1995 also being a possible. 1996 seems somewhat less likely as I suspect most of the content will have been produced after the weekly comic went full colour, which meant the characters adopted consistent colours which they hadn't always before. A good example of this being Ivy's inconsistent colouring as Digi already mentioned, and in one of the other stories Roger has a yellow tie and a red collar (normally, both would be white).
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

I'm surprised I'm the only person who recognised all of them.

It looks like another rush job. The first four pages are from the Beano annual 1994, and every other page is from the 1989 annual - which explains the jarring sight of Roger dodging being slippered!

The 1989 annual was only full colour on about half of the pages, but all of the strips reprinted were in the colour sections, so nothing's been recoloured. In the case of the Dodge Clinics, some were in colour and some weren't, so two out of three in colour are present.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

And they could've used the third, in place of that advert.

By the way, that artwork on the dodge kit gift must be new - looks like NP did it. Makes a change to see them not using stock art.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

The artwork for the gift this week was weird - I think it's actually done in-house with somebody being hired to trace over existing images (or design new images) using the line tool - I'm not too keen on it myself - I actually prefer stock-art as it looks nicer.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page