The Beano merges..UPDATE its not a merge!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: The Beano merges..UPDATE its not a merge!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AndyB »

If the speech balloons are all caps, its definitely a reprint. Mine will probably arrive tomorrow.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

AndyB wrote:If the speech balloons are all caps, its definitely a reprint. Mine will probably arrive tomorrow.
They're lower case...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Could be either then - I suspect whether strips are recaptioned tends to relate to how busy MMi is with new strips etc in a particular week, and how late they decide to run a reprint if Ken is running behind.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Thing that really makes me suspicious that Minnie is permanently reprint is that Ken has not drew many strips in the last few weeks, I think it's been 1 in 6 with the other 4 being ghosted by either Nigel or Laura.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

swirlythingy wrote:I see we've got to the point of denying me my right to free speech.../, I'm out of here.
:offtopic2: My humorous reply to Swirly's resignation statement has also been deleted by a moderator. If in future, prior to submitting my posts, I am going to have to spend time checking carefully everything I've written to ensure that there is nothing there that might offend the person who complained about my deleted post, or anybody else for that matter who might just be offended by it, I will need to spend some considerable time trying to decide whether it is actually worth the bother. :offtopic2:

NP

Post by NP »

Gilly wrote:Thing that really makes me suspicious that Minnie is permanently reprint is that Ken has not drew many strips in the last few weeks, I think it's been 1 in 6 with the other 4 being ghosted by either Nigel or Laura.
Ken has not been able to draw every week recently due to unforseen circumstances, so i've helped out a few times.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

stevezodiac wrote:Sorry about that, Lew. Just fed up with Daily Mail readers being demonised. Since that post i have watched the Horizon programme Eat, Fast Live Longer on the i-player. Very interesting.
And that is part of the reason I only listed my comment about the anonymous diatribes as seen on YouTube. While I may not agree with much of the editorials in that paper, they at least make a reasoned argument as to why they feel as they do. I must admit that I am more an Independent man myself and I love the i.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

As long as it's not the Guardian. See the Dandy section for why.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:As long as it's not the Guardian. See the Dandy section for why.
Have you ever read The Guardian, Digi? Opinions should only be formed after an appropriate amount of experience and considered thought.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Actually yes, remember when they ran that promotion where each issue contained a facsimile comic for a week...?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Actually yes, remember when they ran that promotion where each issue contained a facsimile comic for a week...?
I remember it well, and I collected the facsimiles. I didn't read them but I did read the newspapers. However, my question was Have you ever read The Guardian?, not Have you ever bought The Guardian? There's a world of difference, as I'm sure you appreciate.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Bah! Those people are still shouting the odds on the Beano's Facebook page, and now it looks like the Contact page has been knocked out. And so has the "Gnasher's been here" error page, resulting in this:
Page not found

No umbraco document matches the url 'http://www.beano.com/contact'

umbraco tried this to match it using this xpath query'/root/* [@urlName = "contact"] | /root/*/* [@urlName = "contact"]')

This page can be replaced with a custom 404 page by adding the id of the umbraco document to show as 404 page in the /config/umbracoSettings.config file. Just add the id to the '/settings/content/errors/error404' element.

For more information, visit information about custom 404 on the umbraco website.

This page is intentionally left ugly ;-)

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

On behalf of myself, Al and Colin I wrote to Mike Stirling at the weekend, asking if he could possibly give us a comment for this site. This is what he wrote back this afternoon, my emphasis added.
Hi Andy

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we’ve got a few things on right now so I’ve been ultra-busy(it’s The Beano way!)

I’m pleased to clarify the points you’ve raised with regards to our free Golden Ticket promotion.

The main issue – access to claim prizes – has arisen due to the incredible amount of traffic the promotion has generated. It’s of an unprecedented level and subsequently triggered problems with our server, which we are continuing to work very hard to resolve.

The key point is that no one loses out due to this regrettable problem– all the prizes carry forward, so it remains fair and balanced even if people have difficulty getting on. The promotion runs until September 4 so there’s no rush to claim your prize.

I was also made aware that one of your members seems concerned that prizes are linked to times of day, instead of being linked to specific Golden Tickets. There’s a very good reason for this: our method guarantees that all the prizes get dished out. If the prizes were linked to specific tickets, then some prizes could go unclaimed (because of store returns and any unsold copies). The method used is designed to give away all the prizes.

The final issue is the disappointment some people have expressed about not having won the prize they perhaps wished for. I agree that there has been an editorial oversight in that a speech balloon used by Dennis seems to wrongly indicate winners will receive one of a specific selection of prizes. It was certainly never our intention to mislead and our terms and conditions outline the distribution and allocation of prizes in detail. I’m absolutely mortified to have since learned that this has led to disappointment for some readers. I can promise this is something we’ll learn from for any future such promotions.

The most important thing is that everyone who claims any prize (and everyone wins something) goes into our special draw for a chance to win a fantastic family holiday to Universal Studios Orlando Resort! The more times you claim the more chances you have to win the trip of a lifetime. This was designed to minimise disappointed around any duplicated prizes and also keep everyone’s interest at a peak throughout. It’s the main prize but seems to have been almost forgotten due to the fantastic instant win element we’ve presented.

Some Social Media outlets have carried threads where winners have disparaged the fabulous three month digital subscription. It’s a high value prize, which we’ve work hard to make available and loads of winners are really excited to have won such a cool freebie. I appreciate that you have personally recognised the worth of this and I’m grateful that you’ve decided to introduce your wider family to The Beano via this opportunity.

I’d love for any winners who don’t wish to claim their digital prize to pass them on to a friend who doesn’t already read the Beano, and allow them to see what we’re all about. Some winners have already written to let me know they are gifting their codes to their parents, grandparents and even teachers to prove The Beano is still the best.

Fundamentally I would urge everyone to claim their prize to ensure they are entered for the main event: our grand prize draw.

The final thing I’d say is that, as a business, we have dedicated an incredible amount of time, hard work and money to create our Golden Ticket promotion. It costs a considerable amount to source and distribute the number of prizes we’re awarding; to an unprecedented amount of winners; literally hundreds of thousands. It is part of a core priced issue and everyone gets a high value prize. The intention is that it encourages new readers to sample and also rewards existing fans of The Beano for their support.

I thank you and your members for their support also.

Never be without The Beano!

Mike

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I'd like to think that statement would shut up the clowns on Facebook, but I doubt it.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Digifiend wrote:Bah! Those people are still shouting the odds on the Beano's Facebook page, and now it looks like the Contact page has been knocked out. And so has the "Gnasher's been here" error page, resulting in this:
Page not found

No umbraco document matches the url 'http://www.beano.com/contact'

umbraco tried this to match it using this xpath query'/root/* [@urlName = "contact"] | /root/*/* [@urlName = "contact"]')

This page can be replaced with a custom 404 page by adding the id of the umbraco document to show as 404 page in the /config/umbracoSettings.config file. Just add the id to the '/settings/content/errors/error404' element.

For more information, visit information about custom 404 on the umbraco website.

This page is intentionally left ugly ;-)
Looks like someone has broken one of their links. I have posted a message to DCT regarding this.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!