beano libaray comics

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

andy20066

beano libaray comics

Post by andy20066 »

did any of you ever read them and how many of you still have copys of the beano libaray comics

Digifiend

Re: beano libaray comics

Post by Digifiend »

I not only still have a load of them, I've been trying to catalogue all of them. See the link below.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Love these things, and pick them up whenever I see them "in the wild".

My all-time favourite is "Cap'n Kyd's Kids" - a pirate adventure starring the Bash Street Kids.

"The Beano Marathon" is another favourite. If we're talking about the Dandy ones as well, I really enjoyed "Cuddles & Dimples Meet Spotted Dick" and Micky the Mouth in "Hollerday".
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have couple of hundred in a box here including the first issues. Also had a few Buster comic libraries which were published around the same time.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, they ran from 1984-1985, compared with Beano's 1982-1997 and Dandy's 1983-1997. http://www.bustercomic.co.uk/comiclibrary.html

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

The Beano and Dandy ones were one long story, whereas the Buster ones were a lot of reprints but smaller.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

More akin to Big Comic Fortnightly and Classics from the Comics then.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

If it's any help Digi here's the cover and splash page of my one-and-only issue of Dandy Fun Size, which I bought for curiosity value as it was the only one I ever saw that headlined a 2000AD-style adventure character. For the record, apart from the self-contained 55-page 'Comet' story, the same issue is rounded out with a 6-page Desperate Dan tale and 3 pages of Desperate Dawg.

And here's the advert for the following issue which appeared on the inside back cover:

As a matter of interest, does anybody know if the Comet ever made any other appearances in the DC Thomson Universe?

- Phil Rushton

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

The Comet also appeared in the Dandy Annuals for 2004 and 2005. Unfortunately I don't have 2006 so I can't say if he also appeared in that. Anyone else know?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Comet's debut was actually in the 2000 Summer Special. He appeared in the weekly comic soon after, lasting for a couple of years (I don't know the exact dates, but he wasn't still there come the 2004 revamp). That's also not his only appearance in Fun-Size Dandy (I already have him listed as in issue 95). I'll add it to my list in the morning, thanks!