The Beano 75 years issue whats inside...its guessing time..

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

meherenow

Re: The Beano 75 years issue whats inside...its guessing tim

Post by meherenow »

Yep, very quick to tell me about her run in with the police confiscating her comics, not so quick to reply when I asked for my money back.

Just went straight to dispute in PayPal, I'm not wasting my time.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

must have been other things and not just The Beano and Dandy special!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:must have been other things and not just The Beano and Dandy special!
Not necessarily. If an item has not yet been officially released but someone has it for sale, then it's a legal matter to find out the source of the misdeed.

Imagine if someone was selling your animal prints on eBay weeks before you released them, and you thought you had all the prints. What would you do?
Last edited by Lew Stringer on 11 Jul 2013, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Raven

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote:Not necessarily. If an item has not yet been officially released but someone has it for sale, then it's a legal matter.
Hard to imagine the police fussing themselves with it, though.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:Not necessarily. If an item has not yet been officially released but someone has it for sale, then it's a legal matter.
Hard to imagine the police fussing themselves with it, though.
It's harder to imagine DCT not taking action. Publishers are getting stricter on rights these days.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote: It's harder to imagine DCT not taking action. Publishers are getting stricter on rights these days.

Still not a police matter, though,* i.e. a criminal case. Contacting eBay to try to halt the sale would seem more likely, but may not be effective unless the item is counterfeit.

What's the legal situation in a case like this, then? With a shop, it may be breaching a licensing agreement, and the publisher may choose the costly route of filing a lawsuit over that breach (it wouldn't be a police matter) or refuse to supply to that shop in future, but what in the case of a private individual where no licensing agreement ever existed? I don't see a crime being committed.

EDIT: *The selling of an item, shortly pre-release, in itself, I meant.
Last edited by Raven on 11 Jul 2013, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote: It's harder to imagine DCT not taking action. Publishers are getting stricter on rights these days.

Still not a police matter, though, i.e. a criminal case. Contacting eBay to try to halt the sale would seem more likely, but may not be effective unless the item is counterfeit.

What's the legal situation in a case like this, then? With a shop, it may be breaching a licensing agreement, and the publisher may choose the costly route of filing a lawsuit over that breach (it wouldn't be a police matter), but what in the case of a private individual where no licensing agreement ever existed? I don't see a crime being committed.
Seems obvious to me. If a publisher or manufacturer pays for x amount of goods to be made, and some go walkies before they reach the official outlets then somewhere along the way theft has occurred, no?

Raven

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote: Seems obvious to me. If a publisher or manufacturer pays for x amount of goods to be made, and some go walkies before they reach the official outlets then somewhere along the way theft has occurred, no?
Things do slip out in advance from publishers and other companies from time to time, don't they, and maybe these have already been sent out to many outlets, quite ahead of time, which would be the likeliest source. If you're saying the issue here is of, literally, suspected theft from D. C. Thomson's offices (it'd be a brilliant heist movie!), I still doubt the police would break off from dealing with serious crime because someone allegedly swiped a couple of comics.

The only likely legal breach I can see in these matters would be of a shop's licensing agreement to not sell it before the release date.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote: Seems obvious to me. If a publisher or manufacturer pays for x amount of goods to be made, and some go walkies before they reach the official outlets then somewhere along the way theft has occurred, no?
Things do slip out in advance from publishers and other companies from time to time, don't they,
Advance review copies, yes, bit I don't think DCT do that with comics. I haven't read any advance reviews of DCT comics anywhere in recent memory. Have you? Certainly not three weeks ahead of publication.
Raven wrote:and maybe these have already been sent out to many outlets, quite ahead of time, which would be the likeliest source. If you're saying the issue here is of, literally, suspected theft from D. C. Thomson's offices (it'd be a brilliant heist movie!), I still doubt the police would break off from dealing with serious crime because someone allegedly swiped a couple of comics.

The only likely legal breach I can see in these matters would be of a shop's licensing agreement to not sell it before the release date.
I didn't mention DCT's offices. They're not printed in the office. Comics aren't sent to outlets three weeks in advance.

And no, of course the serious crime squad wouldn't be investigating. No one suggested they would.

I'll get back to me drawing board I think.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote: Advance review copies, yes, bit I don't think DCT do that with comics. I haven't read any advance reviews of DCT comics anywhere in recent memory. Have you? Certainly not three weeks ahead of publication.
I was thinking of potential retail outlets or their warehouses, rather than review copies. I don't know how far ahead they're sent out, or if sample copies are sent out beforehand.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Actually, it would be a police matter if the theft of an item has occurred somewhere along the line as pointed out earlier. Therefore the Police would be involved. It is similar to the way the police deal with illegal copying of movies and then selling them. Federation Against Copyright Theft would be involved in the first instance with the company that has had their content mis-used and then they would call the Police in if they find a criminal act has occurred.

However, back to the main topic, I am placing an order for both at my local newsagent. I don't buy enough comics, but they would certainly put me in the right frame of mind for Glasgow ComicCon on Saturday. :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote: Advance review copies, yes, bit I don't think DCT do that with comics. I haven't read any advance reviews of DCT comics anywhere in recent memory. Have you? Certainly not three weeks ahead of publication.
I was thinking of potential retail outlets or their warehouses, rather than review copies. I don't know how far ahead they're sent out, or if sample copies are sent out beforehand.
As I said, comics aren't sent to outlets three weeks ahead of publication. It's usually a few days before they're on the shelves, I think.

Raven

Post by Raven »

colcool007 wrote:Actually, it would be a police matter if the theft of an item has occurred somewhere along the line as pointed out earlier. Therefore the Police would be involved. It is similar to the way the police deal with illegal copying of movies and then selling them. Federation Against Copyright Theft would be involved in the first instance with the company that has had their content mis-used and then they would call the Police in if they find a criminal act has occurred.

But there's no copyright theft involved, in this case. There would be, only if the seller was manufacturing their own forged copies. It's the difference between a shop selling a DVD a couple of days ahead of its release date (some supermarkets have been known to do this, and a number of mail order companies send DVDs out a little ahead of release date) and actually making and distributing pirate copies of a film. Yes, stealing items in the first place is potentially a criminal matter (but you'd need evidence, and bringing home a low value freebie from work would surely be expected to be dealt with internally by the company, like pilfered stationery), but selling an item before its official release date is not in itself.

However, back to the main topic, I am placing an order for both at my local newsagent.
You need one of those little cut out 'dear newsagent' coupons to do that, don't you?

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

I'm more inclined to think (cynical though I am) that the seller perhaps has had a better offer than mine after the auction has finished.

Still waiting for my refund, even though they emailed me to say they have put it through...not according to my PayPal they haven't and I've had enough dealings with PayPal and eBay to know that monies are moved around instantaneously these days.

Raven

Post by Raven »

meherenow wrote: Still waiting for my refund, even though they emailed me to say they have put it through...not according to my PayPal they haven't and I've had enough dealings with PayPal and eBay to know that monies are moved around instantaneously these days.

I think it can sometimes take a little longer. Don't worry, you'll definitely get it back.