The Beano 75 years issue whats inside...its guessing time..

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: The Beano 75 years issue whats inside...its guessing tim

Post by Digifiend »

You posted a link to a Dandy timeline in the Dandy subforum, well there's also a Beano one.
http://chrishallamworldview.wordpress.c ... 1938-2013/

A few errors though. He says that Curly and Pie-Face appeared very early in Dennis's run. True for Curly, but Pie-Face's debut was over 20 years later. BSK was never called When The Bell Goes, and he can't count, as despite listing all nine names, he says there's eight in the group. Contrary to his claim, Beezer and Topper did not merge into the Beano.

SID

Post by SID »

Digifiend wrote:Contrary to his claim, Beezer and Topper did not merge into the Beano.
He says the same in The Dandy too.
Last edited by SID on 13 Jul 2013, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There was a piece in the London Evening Standard about the 75th anniversary issue. it mentions guest artists and writers. Baxendale?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

All I found was this, which omits that section. But "guest artist" could be referring to that 12 year old Zoom Rockman.
http://comicsbeat.com/zoom-rockman-andy ... next-week/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here it is:

NP

Post by NP »

stevezodiac wrote:... guest artists and writers. Baxendale?
If you're holding your breath, I wouldn't advise it...

fromthenorth

Post by fromthenorth »

Oh come on guys...

It was just a turn of phrase. Let's keep it friendly - this is a nice corner of the Internet.

In other news... My subscriber copy arrived over the weekend... With an inside back cover invite to the 75th celebration. Really looking forward to next week. I think I have my 50th anniversary edition in the loft somewhere.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That inside back cover isn't surprising since they always use that page to advertise the next issue.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

felneymike wrote:What's with the artists and staff "targeting" people? First it was Swirlythingy, and now that he's been driven off it's Digifiend's turn to have his posts deliberately misread, or for his idle speculation to be met with a barked "source?".

Will it be my turn next? *sharpens knives*

Some considerable exaggeration or misunderstanding there I think Mike.

No one has been "targeted" by artists and staff. (Evidence?)

'Swirlythingy' was certainly not "driven off". (Evidence?)

No one's posts have been "deliberately misread". (Evidence?)

But what does sometimes appear to happen is that the slightest disagreement or reply to unfounded speculation is seen as aggressive when that isn't the case. And no, that's not aggressive either. Just a plainly worded reply to your allegations.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Whoa things have been kinda heated in my absence. :shock:

Anyway looking forward to seeing what guest artists will appear and I like how quickly they've got in the references regarding Andy Murray. :D

blaing

Post by blaing »

Good news everyone (on the Dandy and Beano specials)

Both items are available to buy at the D. C. Thomson Shop (click here for the Beano special, and here for the Dandy Special)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Beano special is £6.99 and Dandy's is £4.99. The Beano special can be bought with both Beano and Dandy 2014 annuals for £14.00. https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/Product ... 3125).aspx
And if they're on the DCT shop, I guess that means that neither of the specials are exclusive to one shop (i.e. WHSmith)? The DCT Shop didn't list the Ultimate Beano Summer Specials from the last two years, and those were exclusive to WHSmith.

Speaking of which, looks like WHSmith needs to reduce the price of Panto Time (yes, they still have some) - it's half price on the DCT Shop.

SID

Post by SID »

Thank you, gentlemen.

Both specials are going to be "a must read" for my summer holidays. :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Digifiend wrote:Beano special is £6.99 and Dandy's is £4.99. The Beano special can be bought with both Beano and Dandy 2014 annuals for £14.00. https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/Product ... 3125).aspx
And if they're on the DCT shop, I guess that means that neither of the specials are exclusive to one shop (i.e. WHSmith)? The DCT Shop didn't list the Ultimate Beano Summer Specials from the last two years, and those were exclusive to WHSmith.

Speaking of which, looks like WHSmith needs to reduce the price of Panto Time (yes, they still have some) - it's half price on the DCT Shop.
Thanks Digi - the triple pack is a pretty tempting deal.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Some considerable exaggeration or misunderstanding there I think Mike.
:oops: I suppose I did overstep the mark that time, sorry

And :oops: for then failing to come back here for several days. Got a job interview offer and was looking up what the place I applied for actually does (now, does the suit still fit?)