The Beano 75 years issue whats inside...its guessing time..

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: The Beano 75 years issue whats inside...its guessing tim

Post by stevezodiac »

Beano 75 was just mentioned on Talksport news bulletin.

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

meherenow wrote:
SID wrote:
I take it that your Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine came to you via subscription?

I also take it that it's using the same barcode to save on paperwork for the stores (and possibly expense for DCT)?

Yes came by sub, can't check the barcode just now as my boys have it at granny's tonight.

It's the same barcode as last months Beano Max.

Also, looking at the "last" Beano Max, the free gift is not the dart gun as trailed in the IBC, but a similar looking water pistol.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

A boy I know said he didn't like the changes to the characters..didn't like the drawings...
I wished the new Beano editor had kept on the three artists and the other artists do other characters has its hard not to compare them from before..Jamie's work is better on more fantasy characters like Billy the cat or even Calamity James ...)rather than Roger the Dodger...also Ball boy being surreal stops the reader relating to a boy there age...also The Beano keeps to an art style which I feel it isn't with these changes.. and I think adding celebs is what I didn't like in The Dandy..
Last edited by Peter Gray on 21 Jul 2013, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote: I also take it that it's using the same barcode to save on paperwork for the stores (and possibly expense for DCT)?
As I understand it, with the sort of problems and resistance shops put up against new titles these days it's easier for all to carry on with the same barcode as the defunct comic. It doesn't mean that the comic is still called BeanoMax (as some continue to claim). It means that Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine replaces BeanoMax. (In the same way that Captain America replaced Tales of Suspense back in 1968 for example.) Hopefully it also means that every shop which stocked BeanoMax will take the new comic.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

SID

Post by SID »

That's what I surmised, Lew. Why should DCT go through the expense and hassle to get a new comic out into the shops when they can go use the backdoor courtesy of the old BeanoMAX? Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine may not be BeanoMAX with a different name but the shops don't have to know that. :wink:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

All makes sense to me - the newsagents stocking Beano Max automatically get the Megazine sent to them as it's a like for like switch unless they opt out (unlikely since it's a TV tie-in!) and the new title is a chance for DCT to market it again to those who don't stock it, with a very well known brand.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Lew Stringer wrote:It means that Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine replaces BeanoMax. (In the same way that Captain America replaced Tales of Suspense back in 1968 for example.)
That was my thought too: for collectors of US comics such name changes were a time-honored tradition. In fact, in the case of EC Comics the replacements could be really weird (literally so in some cases) - so that the first issue of Haunt of Fear was no.15 (following on from Gunfighter no.14), Crypt of Terror began with no.17 (following Crime Patrol no.16), Weird Science began with no.12 (following Saddle Romances no.11) while Weird Fantasy no.13 replaced A Moon, a Girl...Romance on the schedules. Sadly their Dandy Comics ended altogether in 1948 with its seventh issue (though goodness knows why they ever thought a name like that would catch on!). :)

- Phil Rushton
Last edited by philcom55 on 21 Jul 2013, 19:35, edited 3 times in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

SID wrote: Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine may not be BeanoMAX with a different name but the shops don't have to know that.
They would have to be pretty dim not to notice the change of title though, Sid.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
SID wrote: Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine may not be BeanoMAX with a different name but the shops don't have to know that.
Have you spoken to some of the brainiacs working the tills these days? :lol: Some make Smiffy seem bright!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

Phoenix wrote:
We are talking computers which identify a comic by its barcode. If the Megazine's barcode shows it as BeanoMAX 80, then that how the systems will see it.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

SID wrote:Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine may not be BeanoMAX with a different name but the shops don't have to know that.
Phoenix wrote:They would have to be pretty dim not to notice the change of title though, Sid.
SID wrote:We are talking computers which identify a comic by its barcode.
Because you are thinking about how barcodes are read, Sid, you are missing my point, particularly with regard to whether shops do or do not have to know about the change of title. I'm looking at it from the point of view of a customer who can't find his BeanoMax. He's not going to say to an assistant, Hasn't barcode number***** come in this week yet? He's going to ask, Where have you stacked the BeanoMaxes this morning? And the assistant isn't going to say, Barcode number ***** did come in this morning, you must be looking in the wrong place.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

Here's the cover for the special edition. Doesn't look too bad but the Dandy's was better...

You might notice some classic characters including Big Eggo!
Attachments
beano.jpeg
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

LBC radio had comics as their phone-in topic between 3 and 4 am this morning. A couple of my texts were read out but one caller assured presenter Duncan Barkes that the Jocks and the Geordies was in Whizzer & Chips and also said he used to get the Jocks and the Geordies annual every year (!). Duncan Barkes said his nine year old daughter was a fan of the Dennis & Gnasher tv series and was surprised when he told her they were characters from a comic. He bought her a Beano and she now has it every week - so a new buyer there.

David Beckham likes his pie and mash from Manzes Tower Bridge Road, I had it there once but was put off by the gravy in the pies - it flowed out and turned my green liquor brown! Manzes and Goddards in Deptford High Street both have the gravy-free meat filling which is much better.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

How the heck do they make such a mistake? No Whizzer and Chips characters had their own annuals at all. And I can't imagine which strip they got confused with there. Perhaps they were thinking of the Dandy Book, but in that case the caller shouldn't have got the comic wrong. :headbash: