This week's issue Take 3

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

WizzKid97

Re: This week's issue Take 3

Post by WizzKid97 »

Ginger wrote:Wizzkid, yes, these discussions can take up a lot of time and energy. But if you're studying for your A-levels and don't want to have these debates, perhaps it's best not to get involved in the first place; which I suppose is what you've decided now. Fair enough.

And just for the record, I didn't just want to talk about Jamie Smart's work, I also mentioned Alexander Matthew's Ball Boy, Dave Eastbury's Ball Boy, and Nigel Parkinson's work.
To be fair, yesterday was my day off from studying. I've been so busy lately that I was allowed a break so thought I'd come on here and join in with the discussions.

I know you personally don't, and I'd love to talk to you about it - but I just don't have the time.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

I understand. Perhaps another time.
To be honest I've spent far too much time on here this morning, too, I really ought to go and mow the lawn! Good luck with the A-levels.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I think the point is everyone is always going to have their own opinion but for better or worse The Beano is going to always change with the times. That doesn't mean we'll all like it though as we all have our own tastes.

Good luck with your A-levels WizzKid97 :)

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Ginger wrote:I understand. Perhaps another time.
To be honest I've spent far too much time on here this morning, too, I really ought to go and mow the lawn! Good luck with the A-levels.
Thanks, I'm sorry if I've came across as a little stupid. I guess I just got fed up really, I would like to discuss this another time though.

Thanks. :)
Gilly wrote:I think the point is everyone is always going to have their own opinion but for better or worse The Beano is going to always change with the times. That doesn't mean we'll all like it though as we all have our own tastes.

Good luck with your A-levels WizzKid97 :)
Well said. That's what I've been trying to say all along, I guess I just didn't say it right.

Thank you. :)
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Gilly wrote:I think the point is everyone is always going to have their own opinion but for better or worse The Beano is going to always change with the times. That doesn't mean we'll all like it though as we all have our own tastes.
Well yes, of course. And the point of a forum like this is to share those opinions and discuss those tastes, I'd say. It may be a bit pointless, but it passes the time.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I wouldn't say it's pointless as it's an interest we all share. It just won't change anything. :)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Gilly wrote:I wouldn't say it's pointless as it's an interest we all share. It just won't change anything. :)
You never know. Bear in mind that this forum is read by comic contributors, including artists, writers, and editors. Opinions from actual readers (as opposed to people who no longer read the comic but still feel the need to moan on 'This Week's Issue' threads) are appreciated IMHO.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

AndyB wrote:Enough. I think there is ample evidence that Jamie is a very accomplished artist. You don't have to like him, but he is a clever artist and writer, and it is not appropriate to continually call into question his professionalism as an artist.

Right in front of me is Roger's bed day from the Beano dated 21/9/13. Loads of care in composition, depth of field and perspective (including deliberate exaggeration, which is Jamie's hallmark, in both art and writing) - what I will give you is that his Roger work is nothing on his Bunny vs Monkey work.

There is a good case for having all artists' work lettered by BeanoMark and his colleagues for consistency, of course, although this would affect the layouts used by those who currently do their own lettering.
That's your opinion, Andy - no more valid than mine - and while his pages continue to appear in The Beano, I believe it is entirely appropriate to occasionally express what I believe is his lack of ability as an artist (at least as far as it is manifest in The Beano) on a thread that invites members' opinions of this week's issue. That's what I was responding to, and I don't see the difference between people continually saying how much they enjoy an issue or an artist (and why) and me saying how much I didn't (and why). Not unless you're kowtowing to those who resent me joining this forum simply because they'd prefer me not to be on it - on prejudiced principle and not because anything I've said ('though they seem to take exception to just about everything I say) has merited my exclusion.

And let me make it clear, I have nothing personal against Jamie Smart and have even made positive remarks on my blog about some of his other strips on his site and single illustrations elsewhere, so to respond to my honest comments as 'though I am conducting some kind of vendetta against him is merely to buy into the immature nonsense of those who simply resent me for not sharing their views on their favourite artist and are seemingly doing their utmost to have me removed by protests of disproportionate outrage whenever I put finger to key.

The qualities which, in your view, Jamie Smart has as an artist, in my opinion are entirely absent in his Beano (and Dandy) work. I can understand why you might want to curry favour from working professionals in order to court their presence on the forum and exploit their patronage to attract members, but to do so at the expense of reasoned, measured and polite observations from 'ordinary punters' is a step too far in my opinion. It restricts the very lifeblood that a forum designed for an exchange of views and enthusiastic discussion requires to survive and thrive. Just because an adolescent who has a history (long before I joined the forum) of throwing a hissy fit whenever I voiced my opinion of his favourite artist (on my own blog) has threatened to leave, I'm now being hit with what is, essentially, a gagging order.

Does the forum belong to all members equally, or only to a select few, who view it as theirs and theirs alone, and use it to publicly extol their favourite artists and thereby court favour with them? Why are they allowed to set the agenda for the rest of us, just because we don't share their views on every issue?

I would've sent this privately, Andy, but you haven't replied to the last two private emails I sent you. Unsure as to whether you're receiving them (or not) or are simple ignoring them, I have no option to but to respond to your (what seems to me) heavily biased comment here.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Gilly wrote:I wouldn't say it's pointless as it's an interest we all share. It just won't change anything. :)
You never know. Bear in mind that this forum is read by comic contributors, including artists, writers, and editors. Opinions from actual readers (as opposed to people who no longer read the comic but still feel the need to moan on 'This Week's Issue' threads) are appreciated IMHO.
You're conveniently ignoring the fact that I was a regular reader from last year until fairly recently, when changes made me drop the comic like a hot potato - and I know I'm not the only one. I think that any editor worth his salt would be interested in why he's suddenly lost readers, even if it's only a relative few. After all, this former reader (and others) could well become an 'actual' reader again if the comic were to improve.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I don't know much about Jamie Smart but it seems to me that it's the job of people working for publications like Beano to stick their pens right up the noses of anybody over twenty five! Like pop musicians they need to maintain a permanently 'punk' sensibility (by which I don't mean the promulgation of a particular style associated with the mid-1970s!).

In fact, listening to some of the criticisms of Jamie's art I can't help being reminded of the way in which the Beatles were once accused of being unable to write, sing or play their intruments - only to be invoked as a model of excellence a few years later when the Sex Pistols came along! :?

- Phil R.
Last edited by philcom55 on 06 Oct 2013, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kid Robson wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
You're conveniently ignoring the fact that I was a regular reader from last year until fairly recently, when changes made me drop the comic like a hot potato - and I know I'm not the only one. I think that any editor worth his salt would be interested in why he's suddenly lost readers, even if it's only a relative few. After all, this former reader (and others) could well become an 'actual' reader again if the comic were to improve.
This thread is about This Week's Issue, which you didn't buy. We already know the reasons you stopped buying it. What is the point of continually going onto 'This Week's Issue' threads to keep on about it?
Last edited by Lew Stringer on 06 Oct 2013, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

philcom55 wrote:I don't know much about Jamie Smart but it seems to me that it's the job of people working for publications like Beano to stick their pens right up the noses of anybody over twenty five! Like pop musicians they need to maintain a permanently 'punk' sensibility (by which I don't mean the promulgation of a particular style associated with the mid-1970s!).

In fact, listening to some of the criticisms of Jamie's art I can't help being reminded of the way in which the Beatles were once accused of being unable to write, sing or play their intruments - only to be invoked as a model of excellence a few years later when the Sex Pistols came along! :?

- Phil R.
Good grief, Phil. On that basis, the comic can surely only get worse! (As Dorothy Lamour once said in The Road To Morocco: "A sparrow may look beautiful - until it stands next to a Peacock."

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

i give up. Topic locked.