This week's issue - Take 4

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

BeanoMaster

Re: This week's issue - Take 4

Post by BeanoMaster »

I hope there are more conncected strips in the future! :xfingers:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Aw no next week its the return of the bagged tat! At least they told us of the price increase this time.

BeanoMaster

Post by BeanoMaster »

My issue didn't say anything about that! Maybe because I'm a subscriber

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Sure? Inside back cover, the next issue advert shows some gifts and warns that the issue will cost £2.99 instead of £2.

The gifts, by the way, are the second Diary of Dennis the Menace book (presumably another sampler, though it shows the cover of the retail version), two Tango popping candy packs, Star Wars Force Attax trading cards, Lego Mixels stickers, and an unspecified "Mega" toy (probably whatever surplus they have in the warehouse, and likely originally from the Dennis magazine given how rare cover gifts have been on the weekly Beano recently).

BeanoMaster

Post by BeanoMaster »

My one says

Dennis the Menace hits hollywood (Dennis the Menace and Gnasher)

Beanotown is infected - by Burpitis! - ( Bananaman)

The Bas Stret Kids get litter duty! Boo! (The Bash Street Kids)

WIN Fifa World Cup Brazil

I checked in my shop and it said about the gifts. TBH it doesn't say anything about the book being a sampler though it probably is. But that would be a good gift!

I wonder what the 'Mega Gift' could be - I would like to see the peashooter from the Megazine as I missed that one. Here is a picture of what I got as the next time
Attachments
image.jpg

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Yes, next week's Beano has actually arrived on time here in Belfast, which, considering that TNT despatch it, is little short of a miracle. I'm going to ask about the gifts, because subscribers have always had them...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Maybe they printed the wrong next week advert in this week's issue, and the gift issue is actually meant to be a week or two away (I'm thinking school half term)? The only thing that would be different is the issue number and release date.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I think next weekend is half term, being the bank holiday.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Which is why the issue out that week would make sense to be the one that's meant to have the gifts. They only ever have them in the school holidays recently.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Yes, so it should be this coming Wednesday's issue. as that will be out over the bank holiday weekend.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Much much better art on Bananaman this week more like the classic look rather than what we have had to endure the last few years,Does anyone know who the artist is?i hope he stays on bananaman for a long while to come.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Wayne Thompson, same as it's been for the last few years. He also currently draws Roger.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I would never have guessed it was the same artist,he should have always drawn the classic look,i hope he sticks to that design in the future.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I got a reply back from Mike about last week's Beano... extract below:
A retailer specific version of this issue featured a special promotional package (bagged with gifts) intended to encourage people who hadn't read The Beano before to sample it. There are two reasons for this. To maintain retail listings, via higher sales revenues in stores, and also to promote sampling.
The Christmas issue will continue to have the cover mounts for subscribers, but it looks as though we won't be guaranteed the same gifts as the retailer version at other times when they are promoting it in-store (ie because we're already hooked!) - although I wouldn't object to a £1 increase in the quarterly subscription to keep getting the interesting ones! The retail version is available with free P&P, I think you have to call the DC Thomson Shop.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Which is stupid. Surely they want to encourage sales of the Diary of Dennis books? Yet subscribers didn't get the second sampler.