Is Dennis a Bully?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Is Dennis a Bully?

Post by Digifiend »

Phoenix wrote:
Old Freddy wrote:flanderised
What on earth does that mean? The verb certainly doesn't feature in any of my dictionaries.
The act of taking a single (often minor) action or trait of a character within a work and exaggerating it more and more over time until it completely consumes the character. Most always, the trait/action becomes completely outlandish and it becomes their defining characteristic.

The trope is named for one of the examples in The Simpsons, Ned Flanders, who was originally just a considerate neighbor and attentive father, with his devout nature simply being that he willingly attended and paid attention in church, all to make him a contrast to Homer, before becoming obsessively religious to the point of stupidity.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... derization

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

-MikeD- wrote:It's time you figured out how to use Google, Phoenix... its 2014! :D
It might be where you are, Mike, but it's still the mid-fifties in my study. :D I wonder if that makes me a time traveller. :?:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:The act of taking a single (often minor) action or trait of a character within a work and exaggerating it more and more over time until it completely consumes the character. Most always, the trait/action becomes completely outlandish and it becomes their defining characteristic.
I get it, Digi, yes I do. Billy Bunter.