Beano The Three Bears First Appearance

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

booksandcomics

Beano The Three Bears First Appearance

Post by booksandcomics »

Hi all,

Anyone know much about the Three Bears? I have a copy of Beano Comic #952 October 15th 1960. Next to the title of "The Three Bears", it says "Starts Today".

I thus assumed that this was the first time they appeared in the comic, however, according to the Beano website, they first appeared in 1959. This is also true according to Wikipedia?

Were they re-launched in 1960? Any ideas why "Starts Today" is placed next to this Beano issue?

stevezodiac

Re: Beano The Three Bears First Appearance

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm pretty sure the Three Bears appeared in Little Plum beofre they got their own strip but I could be wrong. Also many Beano and Dandy strips had seasons like tv programmes - they would appear for a few months and then stop for a few months. Usually General Jumbo and the Q Bikes, strips like that. At that time, also, the Dandy and Beano increased their page count so maybe that was the first bigger issue with extra strips.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My mate, Steve (2nd appearance here today!) just e-mailed this info to me:

In issues 881-884, which I have, there was a 4 week tryout for the 3 Bears, before they came back for their long running series. Readers were asked to write in if they wanted to see them again, and they did!

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Ah, that's great, thanks for the info!

I'm got some Beano comics up for auction later tonight and I'd listed this one as "First Three Bears". I was going by the "Starts Today" next to the title. I'll update the listing to say first regular appearance, 4 week trial occurred previously.

Cheers,

Adam