What's in store for The Beano?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: What's in store for The Beano?

Post by Lew Stringer »

Perhaps The Beano's own website gives a clue:
https://www.beano.com/the-beano-is-hiring/

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

I wonder if this means the Beano is going to be purely digital too then, with animations and the likes online.

Raven

Post by Raven »

If they're hiring that many people, this venture clearly needs to make a significant profit - so I wonder how they're planning to make enough money with online Beano antics.

I don't think subscriptions would be likely to do it as there's too much free stuff for kids online. In which case, heavy advertising would be the way - but they'd probably need to demonstrate a high unique user count before getting really high spends.

I'm also inclined to think that if they want to get Beano reader-age kids visiting and returning they'll really need games above all, more so than videos, animations, gifs, memes, polls, and quizzes - though, of course, games don't have much to do with the comic form.

So it'll be very interesting to see what's planned and how it all works out.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Nagorama wrote:I wonder if this means the Beano is going to be purely digital too then, with animations and the likes online.
No. See earlier comments.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Nagorama wrote:I wonder if this means the Beano is going to be purely digital too then, with animations and the likes online.
If they were about to do that, why would they bother increasing the comic's cover price? It went up by 30p, to £2.50, last week.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Not that it is going to be purely digital, as Lew has said, but what do you mean "why bother" increasing the comic's cover price if that was going to happen? If the new digital manifestation isn't going to be up and running for several months - say at least another seventeen issues or so - and they needed to put the price up now, why wouldn't they?

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

Digifiend wrote:If they were about to do that, why would they bother increasing the comic's cover price? It went up by 30p, to £2.50, last week.
They're perfectly entitled to raise the price of the physical comic in the meantime, regardless of them going digital or not.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

fart gags....oh dear..on the job offer...
never liked them..other people do...oh well..

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

2000 ad has already prepared for the digital age, and so should Beano. That's the only way to survive. Believe me, within ten years, it's inevitable and I will choke on my memory stick when it does. How can I collect in digital form? I am so naturally entwined with the printed form, I could never go digital only. At that point, which will happen, I will wallow in bygone years.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

this weeks beano says amazing news in iss dated 5 december so 2 issues to go

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Ooooh...that's on be birfday!

It's a Saturday so I am gettin' boozee!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

big bad bri wrote:this weeks beano says amazing news in iss dated 5 december so 2 issues to go
That issue is the conclusion of the Star Wars spoof (which they said on Facebook is four parts) and the following issue should be the last one of the year (the Christmas issue - the next one would be dated 2 January because they usually leave the Christmas issue on sale for three weeks). It's too soon for it to relate to that job advertisement, as they won't have hired anyone yet (they're not due to start work until January) and the issue will already be in production. So I wonder if it's new characters debuting in the Christmas issue?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

hopefully a dandy merger with desperate dan and korky and dandy name on the mast head.

SID

Post by SID »

big bad bri wrote:hopefully a dandy merger with desperate dan and korky and dandy name on the mast head.
Wouldn't that be great. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They wouldn't bother using Dandy's name on the masthead - it closed too long ago. But ex-Dandy characters coming in is certainly possible (after all, they've done it a few times with Beezer and Topper characters). With the Dandy website's removal it's obvious that Digital Dandy will not be given another attempt.