Beano to get CGI revamp for YouTube generation

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Ellis

Re: Beano to get CGI revamp for YouTube generation

Post by Ellis »

The release date to the Beano Annual was postponed to 25th September. All the other dc Thomson annuals have already been published.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That.... makes no sense whatsoever. Besides losing sales, there's also the fact it would've been printed months ago - if the relaunch was reflected at all, it would almost certainly have already leaked! Also, they've been advertising it in the comic for two months already.

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

Well the relaunch has been planned for a while now. You could be right. Who knows.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

big bad bri

Post Re: Beano to get CGI revamp for YouTube generation
its fantastic that bananman is back to 2 pages and even better steve bright is back hopefully this is permanent. i hope beano announcement isnt that its going digital only or something similar.

I facebooked Steve Bright this good news..it wasn't such good news...

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

well hope bananman isnt ending id be happy with steve doing 1 page he bananman artist since nutty started in my opioion.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

A revamp could mean some artist changes. It may not be Bananaman ending, but rather, Steve's run on it. I guess we'll know what's going on soon.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

My Beano sub seems to arrive opn Monday now..so don't know anything yet..
Steve Bright and Lew Stringer are not in the revamp sadly.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The Beano artists seem to be playing musical chairs a lot and it seems to have been this way for about 20 years now!

Although there was always some use of artists with a radically different style taking over a strip temporarily [say, Gordon Bell doing the Bash Street Kids in the 60s]. nowadays the artists seem a lot less permanent with much shuffling around of styles.

I almost expect this when I look through the comic these days.

I'm not knocking this: variety is often more interesting for the reader---but this newer approach seems to be accepted part of the comics' stock-in trade today.

I remember being informed that John Geering insisted that no-one else drew Puss n Boots, for example, as he regarded it as his 'baby', and sure enough, I don't remember any other artist drawing these characters, apart from one very odd curio in one of the later annuals.[that one looked like it was penciled by him, but maybe inked by someone else].

I wonder if the DCT editors would respect an artists' wishes in the same way today?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

In Ball Boy's case, changing the artist saved the strip - they'd axed Alexander Matthews' version, as it wasn't popular (it was a major change from previous versions of the character), and then a while later brought him back drawn by Chris McGhie.

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't allow an artist a monopoly over a strip nowadays. Steve Bright is one of Bananaman's creators (his original writer) and yet he's still losing that strip (for the second time, as he was replaced once in the Dandy as well).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

my sub copy still hasnt arrived. bent and creased or not :lol:

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

Mine hasn't arrived either. Seems to get later each week.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Digifiend wrote:In Ball Boy's case, changing the artist saved the strip - they'd axed Alexander Matthews' version, as it wasn't popular (it was a major change from previous versions of the character), and then a while later brought him back drawn by Chris McGhie.

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't allow an artist a monopoly over a strip nowadays. Steve Bright is one of Bananaman's creators (his original writer) and yet he's still losing that strip (for the second time, as he was replaced once in the Dandy as well).

Maybe that is one of the reasons that creators find it difficult obtaining the rights to owning properties outright: publishers can do what they want with a character once they own it lock stock and barrel [including bringing in new artists] and are understandably reluctant to relenquish control.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

no Beano yet...Commandos arrived today..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Three of you reporting no-show subs... what's going on!?!