danny long legs...dudley d watkins..

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm buying on ebay a 1961 Dandy.so hope this story is in it...it would be useful to know what years he was in..

Like Desperate Dan it has long stories...

one story is when he is a prisoner...for many episodes..

it is funny that Dudley drew this and Tom Thumb..

these 2 strips have so much detail...and how he could fit a very tall character in a frame and keep it interesting,,,,,amazing....

for Kashgar...just 3 things now....Albert Barnes...number 1000 Beano...and Danny Longlegs... thanks in advance.......I think I'm going to have to start paying Cashgar I mean Kashgar...I do find it very interesting

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Just posted an answer to your Beano No1000 query such as it is. I'll send you my bill in due course! Seriously though, keep asking the questions and I'll answer them when, and if, I can.
I haven't forgotten that I owe you a few biographical details on Albert W Barnes either.
Re Danny Longlegs I'm afraid the strip that Dudley Watkins drew about the gangly medieval schoolboy was only drawn by the great man in the 1940's. I'll have a quick look later on and post you full details of his involvement with the strip.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Danny Longlegs was a schoolboy in the medieval hamlet of Sleepy Valley who just happened to be ten feet tall. His career in the Dandy went as follows -
Series 1 nos 285 (3/2/45) - 349 (2/8/47)
Xmas special strip no 359 (20/12/47)
Series 2 nos 372 (19/6/48) - 395 (7/5/49) this is the series in which he is kidnapped in order to be the bodyguard of and eastern potentate.
Series 3 nos 405 (27/8/49) - 407 (10/9/49) this is the last series drawn by Watkins in which Danny Longlegs confronts a mechanical dragon.
Series 4 nos 438 (15/4/50) - 444 (27/5/50) this final series drawn by Bill Holroyd has Danny Longlegs mirror reflection coming to life.
Danny Longlegs also appeared in the Dandy Monster Comic editions 1947-1951. In all five cases Dudley Watkins was the artist.
In 1962 the Dandy used the title 'Danny Longlegs' again for a strip that featured in issues 1082 (18/8/62) - 1108 (16/2/63) drawn by Jack Glass. this strip though was set in modern times and featured the tallest hill-billy in the Catskill Mountains, Danny Kettle.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

thanks Kashgar

Series 2 nos 372 (19/6/48 - 395 (7/5/49 ) this is the series in which he is kidnapped in order to be the bodyguard of and eastern potentate.

so this is the story.....the story I've read in the Dandy and Beano adventure stories annual...was when he goes to a rat infested castle and they all have to live in the celling hanging from rope furniture etc...the story ideas are very interesting..and clever...

also read in the one with the panto horse which is in the annual..

the Dandy issues are very early....could be expensive.......hmm going to London comic and newspaper musuem maybe the way ahead....