Bully Beef and Chips

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

skidbum1

Bully Beef and Chips

Post by skidbum1 »

Who was the artist/creator of this strip in the early 1970s? When did it start and finish?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Bully Beef and Chips

Post by AndyB »

JC Hughes. Bob Nixon took over in the late 1980s.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Just to be precise Bully Beef and Chips first appeared in 1967 taking over the Dandy back page from Big Head and Thick Head. Jimmy Hughes is virtually unique in that he seems to have never worked for any other comic other than the Dandy. His other long running strip for the comic was the Jocks and the Geordies which first appeared in 1975 as well as doing stints on the Dirty Dick strip, taking over from Eric Roberts, and Corporal Clott after the death of Davey Law.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

there was a small article on JIMMY HUGHES in my local rag recently: apparantly he left behind a fair bit of original 'DANDY' artwork [some CHARLIE GRIGG stuff, as well as his own] which is going up for AUCTION [shortly] ----the paper showed a small pic of JIM......not as I imagined him [it never is]-------he worked in a large caravan at the bottom of his garden, trivia-lovers..........

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

JC Hughes. Bob Nixon took over in the late 1980s.
Towards the end of its run it was drawn by Sid Burgon and Gordon Bell drew some as well.

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

Talking of Bully Beed & Chips... Was there anyone else here who hated it when suddenly you could see Beefys eyes? I had grown up with the original 'eyeless' beefy which I loved, then suddenly he's staring back at you! I remember being quite peeved- and looking back, I still much prefer the original version.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

The Jocks and the Geordies was revived for a one-off dig at Viz in 1995. My brother probablt had the issue but i doubt he has now. It was a satire of the situation between Viz (based in Newcastle, even) and DC Thompson at the time

Steve Bright

Post by Steve Bright »

The Jocks and the Geordies was revived for a one-off dig at Viz in 1995. My brother probablt had the issue but i doubt he has now. It was a satire of the situation between Viz (based in Newcastle, even) and DC Thompson at the time
Any idea who drew it?

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Steve Bright

Post by Steve Bright »

:wink: Thanks - I'm sure Morris Heggie will be blushing right now.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

:wink: Thanks - I'm sure Morris Heggie will be blushing right now.
He better not be - I wrote it! :D Actually, it was a joint effort - unless there was any fall-out, in which case I was on me tod. :lol:
Iain

Steve Bright

Post by Steve Bright »

Iain, me ol' mucker, I offer my humblest apologies (and to Morris if he requires them). It was a darned fine script anyways up, and a pleasure to draw.

Er...I did draw it, didn't I? :?

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Iain, me ol' mucker, I offer my humblest apologies (and to Morris if he requires them). It was a darned fine script anyways up, and a pleasure to draw.

Er...I did draw it, didn't I? :?

Steve Bright

Post by Steve Bright »

:lol: :D :lol:

Thanks, Iain - of such porkies, legends are made! 8)