New Dandy Logo in 1960

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: New Dandy Logo in 1960

Post by philcom55 »

If you're bidding against Mon-El you might as well give up...! :?

- Phil R.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Who?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Apart from being an early member of the Legion of Super Heroes 'Mon-El' is the bidding name of a collector with seemingly limitless resources. While this can be frustrating when he takes an interest in something you fancy yourself I have to say that I'm glad there's someone out there intent on rebuilding the sort of archive that got scattered to the four winds when Denis Gifford's collection was broken up into lots! Hopefully it will be placed on display for all to see at some time in the future.

- Phil R.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

If you're wondering why Mon-ell doesn't leave feedback to stuff you sell him its because he lives in Canada and the stuff he wins on ebay is sent to Phil Clarke in Birmingham so Mon-ell hasn't seen it yet.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Really? Wouldn't it be easier for Phil Clarke to bid for his own stuff or does this Phil bloke not have an eBay account??

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think Mon-El does his own bidding but Phil acts as his agent in the UK. Phil also looks after a warehouse full of original artwork on his behalf, selling selected items under his 'psconbo2003' account (and that's just the tip of the iceberg!).

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/psconbo2003blasebooks

(Fantastic stuff, but often quite pricey!)

- Phil R.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

love the original comic library Girl painted covers..

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I believe Mon-ell is retiring soon and will move back to the UK. So it makes sense to have his wins sent to a UK address rather than drag them all across the Atlantic.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is a printing error, but, I came across a Dandy comic with a red banner at the bottom of the front cover which I thought was used for the Beano? I have always seen Dandy comics with a blue banner at the bottom.

Although I do have a few gaps in the weeks before this copy (#1504 September 19th 1970), this is the only copy I have seen with the red banner.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/58 ... error.jpg/

Any thoughts?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Beano didn't use a banner at all by then. Here's the Beano from the same week:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/7/72 ... _super.jpg

The red banner does match the Beano of the late 50s (which had a red box logo) and the 1960 Dandys with the red background logo as discussed at the start of this thread.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Back to Mon-ell and because I have sold stuff to him I know his name is Peter Hansen. Imagine my surprise when, looking through some American comic supplements from 1977, I came across a newspaper strip drawn by Peter Hansen. Is this the same person?

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

What `peturbed` me a little was when Mon -Ell bought more than one copy of a Sparky issue I had been after too! Sure, getting out-bid is a acceptible hazard in bidding. But both copies were about the same, so I doubt if he was `Upgrading`

Of course I could be mistaken - and my apologies if so -but if certain E.Bay buyers with unlimited resources buy up as many copies of rare issues because they are rare- what about those who love the comic for itself?

I daresay my gripe may not make sense to some-but buying up of more than one copy of an issue for its rarity (`If` that is the case) makes it tough on other bidders!
A Face unclouded by thought.