Brassneck

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Brassneck

Post by Peter Gray »

Image thanks to Phil-comics ebay..

Brassneck a great character..

they link arms has real mates...

Brassneck was up there with Winker Watson..
I liked how the stories carried on week after week..

J T

Re: Brassneck

Post by J T »

Hello y'all! :wave:
Good to see ol' Brassneck again!
What is the date of his first appearance, Peter?

J T

Post by J T »

I've just found the answer.... 5/12/64, courtesy of phil-comics on ebay (where you got the scan, Peter, by the looks of things!) :oops:
And now another question: Who was the Brassneck artist?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

[quote="J
And now another question: Who was the Brassneck artist?[/quote]

Bill Holroyd.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

J T

Post by J T »

Cool. Cheers, Lew. :up:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

i preffered Holroyds other strip that ran when Brassneck didn't appear, think it was called Joe White and the Seven Dwarves? (Not sure about that last word - it was more likely something that rhymed with it - but it was much more slapstick than Brassneck). He also did Spunky and his Spider which I never really got into.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Joe White and the Seven Dwarfs and Spunky and his Spider were the bookends to the first, very long, Brassneck series. Joe White ending in 1964 to make way for Brassneck and, in 1968, Brassneck making way for Spunky and his arachnid pal. I always thought that having a huge, hairy spider as a chum was a little bit creepy and to enjoy the Spunky strip you had to edit out the fact that his pet was a spider at all and see him instead as a sort of eight-legged, web-spinning, dog.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Ten minutes after I made the last entry something jangled in my brain telling me that what I'd written wasn't quite right and on checking this proved to be so.
Joe White (Dandy Nos 1129-1201) did indeed make way for Brassneck (Nos 1202-1370) but then Spunky and his Spider actually began in Dandy No 1360 (16/12/67) some ten issues before Brassneck ended in No 1370 (24/2/68). Spunky's spider was named Scamper by the way.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

If memory serves me Scamper lived on apples rather than anything live he caught in his giant webs

steven

Post by steven »

Just seen a Tom Patterson version on this year's Dandy Annual

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I remember when Brassneck began-liked him a lot, but felt Charlie `Chuckler` Brand rather insipid! I still have a 1966 (Pub 1965) Dandy Annual, which was the first one that Brassneck appeared in. The unusual thing is...Brassneck has no dialogue at all in the Annual strip that year!
A Face unclouded by thought.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

who was the weedy, bespectacled creep who jammed 'BRASSNECK'S ' circuits [via remote-control box] causing him to go haywire [a long-running story device in early 70s 'DANDY'] ?

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

The `Weedy` fellow was called "Swatty". His dad was a professor of some sort and built the device for his son to `interfere` with Brassneck! The daftest part of the story was why Charlie Brand didn't even try to figure out why Brassneck was `malfunctioning` all the time!
A Face unclouded by thought.