Undated Dandy Annuals from the 1970s...?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

rossmac

Undated Dandy Annuals from the 1970s...?

Post by rossmac »

Hi there,

I just came across a bit of an oddity... I bought three Dandy Annuals from Ebay that are 1972, 1973 and 1978. Nothing odd about the 1978 one, but the first thing I noticed about the other two was the absence of the year printed anywhere on the cover. The publication date is inside, and I have seen these issues online with their year on the cover so it just seems odd that there is a version without it.

Anyone know why? Could it be a special print run, or reprint run without the year to avoid confusion or sell them in another year? Could they be an overseas print run without the date for some reason (I'm in Australia, but I've never seen this before).

It's not really important, just curious about this oddity!

Ross

Raven

Re: Undated Dandy Annuals from the 1970s...?

Post by Raven »

I've been puzzled by a similar thing for a while. I have a Valiant Annual 1975 which has no date on the front or the spine, yet when I check on Ebay all the copies there do have the dates.

dandy mad

Re: Undated Dandy Annuals from the 1970s...?

Post by dandy mad »

I think that they are printing errors and somehow got past thomsons quality control ive never heard of thomsons doing seperate print runs for overseas markets before and makes them rare i saw a dandy book 1980 years ago without a date printed on the front cover but had it on the back! And had a hefty price tag as the bloke selling it said it was unique and you dont see these at all i didnt buy it not at the price he was asking for it