Couple of Dandy items from Comics International

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Couple of Dandy items from Comics International

Post by stevezodiac »

Phew! I'm plum wore out after all this posting. Just noticed spelling of "DC Thompson" which is utterly unforgivable for anyone in comic fandom.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Couple of Dandy items from Comics International

Post by felneymike »

I don't suppose anybody here needs it pointed out that Commando started around 30 years after The Dandy, but has a higher issue count because 8 issues have been published a month since the early 70's? XD

ajsmith

Post by ajsmith »

Or that there's no P in Thomson?.

Earl

Post by Earl »

The best I can offer in terms of the comic with the most issues is the Mexican title Pepin that ran for over 7,500 issues. In terms of the longest running comic in terms of years it's the American title Detective Comics.

You may well know of titles that can beat the above but they are the best ones I can think of.

Earl.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Earl wrote:The best I can offer in terms of the comic with the most issues is the Mexican title Pepin that ran for over 7,500 issues. In terms of the longest running comic in terms of years it's the American title Detective Comics.

You may well know of titles that can beat the above but they are the best ones I can think of.

Earl.
I think The Dandy beats Detective comics? Didn't that start in the early 40's and the Dandy started in 1937 (and the Beano in 38). Oh actually just looked on Wiki and Detective Comics also started in 37 (with a Fu Manchu like chararacter on the cover of issue 1!). According to the wiki article though, Detective Comics has, or is going, "oh hiatus", meaning it won't have been continuously published!

If you count story-papers as "comics", then The People's Friend must beat 'em all! Think it started in the 1860's and is still coming out.