What would happen if DCT dropped 'The Dandy' from the title?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Spencer

Re: What would happen if DCT dropped 'The Dandy' from the title?

Post by Spencer »

It would be great to see Xtreme spun-off into it's only 'Toxic-a-like' monthly title and the Dandy re-launched as a weekly comic. Whenever their online polls ask "What would you like to see more of?" the answer is predominantly "comic strips"...

...I wonder if a re-launch would work now? Maybe add some of the better DFC strips into a mix with some of the Dandy stalwarts and leave Xtreme to concentrate on the bogies, puking, and farting market ? :roll:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Good point about the DFC. It's artists own the rights to their own characters, and some, such as Laura Howell, already work for Thomsons. But Thomsons would have to pay the artists more, because of the rights issue. Isn't Xtreme already a Toxic-alike? They both feature a mix of comic strips and gross features!

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Even smaller 'Dandy' on the masthead in the latest issue... :shock: honestly, take a look if you can find it, it's smaller than some of the 'Inside this issue' tags further down the page!

Can any of the DCT chaps on these forums confirm the plans for Britain's longest-running comic?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:The Dandy has always had content that changes, with Desperate Dan being the only constant. (Although admittedly even he's not in every issue now.)

The Beano has retained a core group of strips since the 1950s (Dennis, Minnie, and Bash Street) which has no doubt helped its image and sales. The Dandy has always been more experimental in its line up.

Lew
Dan's the only thing left from the Dandy of the 1970s, that's why I mentioned full colour, which I assume happened at the same time as The Beano, in 1988. With The Beano, you forgot Roger, although unlike the others, he's had no spin-offs, unless you count the Dodge Clinic. I agree about the line-up, and noticed your wish for a Bash Street cartoon on your blog! If Dennis is a success, maybe it'll happen. Who knows?
Nope, I've never wished for a Bash Street Kids cartoon, on my blog or anywhere else. I'm not particularly interested in cartoons based on comics at all really.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

I commented on Lews blog about a Bash St cartoon. Its a possibility, but animation and comics are completely different mediums, its near impossible to translate the appeal without loosing something or replacing it with something not associated with the comics.

I hope that the Dandy keeps its name, for my money 'X-treme' is more dated then the word 'dandy' because nobody uses the word 'dandy' anymore in the way it was used (as NP and alanultron5 pointed out) 'X-treme' sounds like something that the teenage mutant ninja turtles would say, pretty early 90's, same goes for MAX.

But I'm sure the kids don't care just us fussy adults

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Steve Henderson wrote:I commented on Lews blog about a Bash St cartoon.
Oops, sorry guys.
Its a possibility, but animation and comics are completely different mediums, its near impossible to translate the appeal without loosing something or replacing it with something not associated with the comics.
That something being the classroom setting. Pretty hard to stretch it to 20 minutes if they're just cooped up in school. Winston's presence would likely be seen as too surreal as well.
I hope that the Dandy keeps its name, for my money 'X-treme' is more dated then the word 'dandy' because nobody uses the word 'dandy' anymore in the way it was used (as NP and alanultron5 pointed out) 'X-treme' sounds like something that the teenage mutant ninja turtles would say, pretty early 90's, same goes for MAX.
Michelangelo maybe, he did always use words like Cowabunga. Although that was toned down a lot in the more recent cartoon (dunno about the TMNT movie though, I haven't seen it). The editorial staff, even if young, would've grown up in the 90s or earlier, which probably explains the slightly outdated word usage. It's the same with Dandy's Ollie Fliptrik strip, and the way that character speaks.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Its a possibility, but animation and comics are completely different mediums, its near impossible to translate the appeal without loosing something or replacing it with something not associated with the comics.
That something being the classroom setting. Pretty hard to stretch it to 20 minutes if they're just cooped up in school. Winston's presence would likely be seen as too surreal as well.

I don't think winston would be a problem, If anything it would add to the original appeal, I think they would add more characters i.e more children from other classes or schools, which could be cool if they manage to re-create the same kind of thing that the early baxendale strips did (the final panel being one huge fight or something with loads of characters) but knowing telly people there more likely to just add previously unwanted characters (see sgt slipper and the colnel from the 1996 dennis series) these characters are added in order to stretch the storys out for animation, however these characters seemed to have flourished in the comic world as well. Your right they would have to take them out of the classroom though to stretch the story out!

Im sure it would be difficult attatching any sort of modern up to date word to a kids comic these days seeing as the urban dictionary seems to get thicker and thicker every day, kids seem to be changing at a faster pace today than they ever did!

sorry to be so off topic on the Bash streets kids stuff!!!