Beryl the Peril animation on Youtube!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Beryl the Peril animation on Youtube!

Post by Digifiend »

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWUcZTvBOmk

Based on a "1973" strip called All is Lost (it has a title, so I think it's actually from a Beryl annual, and thus reprint and so from even earlier, as it looks like Davy Law's artwork). Uses stop motion, created by Birmingham City University. :D

They've tagged it as Dennis the Menace cartoon sister both drawn by David Law. :lol: Since when are they siblings? :roll:

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Beryl the Peril animation on Youtube!

Post by Kashgar »

If you had had a copy of my excellent index 'Topper Tales' to hand DF :wink: you could have not only confirmed that this animated strip was reprinted in the Beryl the Peril Book for 1973 but that it also originall appeared in Topper No 611 (17/10/64).

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Its also labelled as stop motion, which it is not. although there are parts of the film I dislike (voices) the film has some excellent points. The style of animation matches Laws 'scrappy' style and with a bit of tweaking would match it perfectly! For a student animation its good work. A smoother animation wouldn't have worked it would have looked wierd.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Thanks for that Kashgar. I didn't expect even Topper's equivalent to Beano Diaries to have the exact original date, I was expecting someone to have to check the original comic and annual. :D

Steve, I agree about voices, they're probably aged between 18 and 23, when Beryl should be about 10-12, and her Dad in his 30s or 40s. Poor voice acting too. What do you expect from uni students though? :wink: I did like the animation, that's why I posted the link.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

I'm in the middle of a masters myself (on a bit of a break, need to earn some cash!) So I was comparing the work to stuff I see at university. Nice to post it up, give it a bit of exposure! Ill be animating my own comic later in the year so seeing how different styles have been approached is always worth a gander!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Only thing I noticed is that Beryl always wore tights (or stockings) - so her feet wouldn't have been bare after taking her shoes off!