Jak and Todd...

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Jak and Todd...

Post by Digifiend »

If they must reprint it, surely they can use material from 2004 when they first appeared?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like we know why they were being reprinted now. Sayonara to them. Still, at six years, it's the longest running of Jak's three incarnations.

SID

Post by SID »

wicked-stepladder wrote:
Am sorry to see Lucy Grimm and Cuddles & Dimples go.
Cuddles & Dimples was the one other strip (apart from Desperate Dan and Bananaman) I wanted to stay. Maybe they will return?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

cuddles and dimples was one of my favs as a kid (they used to be on the centre spread if memory serves!) and it's a shame more of the old characters are not in it, Laura howell mentioned the lack of girl characters, why not get Laura to draw Beryl the Peril, Dinah Mo, Molly or something! (I may be the first person on this forum to mention Dinah Mo, so perhaps not the best character choice!)

Saying that it's only really a shame for us adults who should know better

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Huh, I never liked Molly. Didn't like Fiddle O Diddle either (they were both casualties of the 2004 relaunch). I think Dinah Mo was dropped not long after Beryl moved to The Dandy, because they're too similar to each other - Beryl's Topper history made her the longer running character and she survived until 2007 (albeit appearing as occasional reprints in later issues of Xtreme).

If they want more classic characters alongside Dan, Bananaman, and Korky, I'd say Beryl the Peril and Cuddles and Dimples would be good choices. Beryl was only dropped because Xtreme was very anti-female when it first relaunched (a female character in a "not for girls" comic is a bit of a contradiction - they soon toned it down thank goodness, to the point that she came back). Laura would be able to do a decent Beryl I reckon, judging by her Minnie the Minx strips. My guess is Cuddles and Dimples was dropped because of NP doing several other strips for the new Dandy including Harry Hill, in addition to his Beano work. They got rid instead of changing the artist (might as well, it was a major revamp after all - even Dan wasn't guaranteed to be safe). Time will tell if readers miss them, as they will be running polls to vote characters in or out.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

If its a Laura comic we are deffo after they could perform an amazing comics miracle and buy the rights to 'The Mighty M' that is new (ish, new enough) and has the right feminine/boisterous attitude that would fit in well with the new Dandy I think. It seems a shame that its not been resurrected yet like a few of the DFC comic characters, its a shame its not being done anymore its was a great bit of work.

very unlikely to happen though

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's the thing about the new Dandy. They're always looking for new ideas and new talent now. And Bogies proves that they aren't afraid to buy things in - I doubt getting Harry Hill on board was cheap either!