Has Xtreme gone forever?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

SID

Has Xtreme gone forever?

Post by SID »

Of course it has (unless someone knows otherwise). ;)

But I do wonder, the only things that the new Dandy has in common with the old Xtreme is the Dandy name, Desperate Dan, Bananaman and the Bogies.

But if DCT did wanted though, it would take very little work for them to continue the publication minus the above (and restart the issue numbers from number 1).

Question is: is there anybody out there (child or adult) who preferred Xtreme or even liked it as a mag for it to continue?
Last edited by SID on 02 Nov 2010, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Re: Has Xtreme gone forever?

Post by Lew Stringer »

Interesting thought!

Perhaps it'd confuse both the retail trade and the readers if an Xtreme mag appeared again, and could affect sales of The Dandy. It's confusing enough for some people that BeanoMAX is out there. (A few people have asked me if that's replaced the weekly Beano.)

It could also be argued that "Xtreme" as a name is starting to sound a bit outdated now. Besides, I think there is another boy's mag with Xtreme in its title out there.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes there is, Turbo Xtreme launched recently. Because of that, regardless of content, Dandy made a very good move ditching the Xtreme tag.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Leave all the strips in and take out everything else and you would have a very good comic 'em well another 'Dandy' really.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You know, it would seem that Dandy material is not off-limits to BeanoMAX, considering they've been reprinting Auntie Clockwise, a 90s Dandy strip parodying Doctor Who.

With only the comic strip content from Xtreme, you'd only have half a comic. Not to mention Dandy being weekly to Xtreme's fortnightly. The workload quadrupled, which is why they took on all this new talent. It'd be interesting to know which strips in the old Xtreme were popular and which weren't, considering Desperate Dan and Bogies are the only ones to continue as they were (Bananaman got a new artist and everything else was replaced completely). Probably too early to get ratings on the new stuff.

NP

Post by NP »

Digifiend wrote:It'd be interesting to know which strips in the old Xtreme were popular and which weren't
I believe Cuddles and Dimples' Mum had a small but loyal following among more mature male readers. And a few in-house fans too. If they had continued Xtreme as a seperate mag, she would have been ideal for her own, ah, strip.

SID

Post by SID »

NP wrote:
Digifiend wrote:It'd be interesting to know which strips in the old Xtreme were popular and which weren't
I believe Cuddles and Dimples' Mum had a small but loyal following among more mature male readers. And a few in-house fans too. If they had continued Xtreme as a seperate mag, she would have been ideal for her own, ah, strip.
I am one of them. :wink: The only thing I couldn't understand is what she saw in Dad. Well they say that love is blind. :D

All naughty thoughts aside, I am surprised that they did get excluded as I thought they were as popular as Desperate Dan and Bananaman. I can only imagine that poor NP has enough to draw at the moment. But I live in hope that they will be back.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).