This weeks Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: This weeks Dandy

Post by Digifiend »

Don't worry. They removed any paid adverts, therefore last week's Bash Street Kids, which was a double page spread, was split in two, rendering it hard to read. Also, without an iPad or something similar, you don't have access to previous issues. You're definitely better off buying the print edition. But since the Dandy won't have one any more, that system would be better than nothing.

SID

Post by SID »

Four more weeks to go :( and the issue was brilliant. Far superior to The Beano IMHO.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

Its good that the last few Dandy's are really good.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Hi all, just thought I would post this. Not been very active recently! I have shocked myself at how much I have enjoyed the Dandy for the past few months! I've chuckled and loved the cheeky references to the mid 1990s! I actually took out a subscription months ago, I rang up the Dandy and said how much would it be to guarantee that I get delivered every single copy up until the final issue?

Worked a treet! Not had to step foot in a paper shop since, although, some bad new, our local paper shop is closing down!

Asides from this, I rang up the Dandy again the other day and asked it I could alter my subscription. For the amount I paid, I am due about a further 8 issues after the final issue of the Dandy. The current standing is that they will just send me the Beano. For fear of soiling my bookshelf (it's not had a single Beano on it in years), I have asked them if I could have 8 back issues instead. I need to ring them up again towards the end of the month. My main aim is to get as many of the first half of 2012 as possible. I really REALLY want to fill in my comic gaps now from 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and the first half of 2012.

Cheers,

Adam

SID

Post by SID »

That reminds me, I have an on-going sub for the Dandy. I daresay that if I keep it going, I will start getting the Beano which I don't really want. (Strange that DCT doesn't instead allow the subscription to continue with the digital Dandy or at the very least, give you a choice).
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That clause of course is only for the print edition. I'd imagine iTunes subs are unaffected.

SID

Post by SID »

Got this week's Dandy. Loved the classic Korky the Cat cover (from an annual but not sure which one) and accompanying equally classic Korky strip inside.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

That would be next week's Dandy ;)

I assume that those of us who have both subscriptions will be given refunds for the missing issues.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Loved the cover as well...I've got that annual..
http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/annuals.php?ComicTitleID=51

Its such a lovely cover by Charles Griggs...also enjoyed Korky inside..
a nice surprise!!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Hmm, winter scene. Might have been better used the following week. Still at least it reflects the content, unlike the last two weeks which had stock Bananaman artwork by a different artist than the one who did the stories inside those issues. I hope Korky will be in the last two issues as well.

SID

Post by SID »

This week's Dandy (or the subscription is early for once). ;)
Attachments
1969-02-TheDandy.jpg

LordSnooty2

Post by LordSnooty2 »

So this is technically the first time since 1984 that Kooky's took centre stage of the comic (and yes, I know he was on the side of the logo for 14 years afterwards, but korky WAS the character that the readers first saw one cold December in 1937.)

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Brilliant to see Korky back on the cover after 28 years and I feel that is the right thing to do to end the Dandy's 75 years of print.

A fitting tribute!!!!!!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

No Bananaman this week. So that's two too few that Wayne drew. Speaking of Wayne, his Jak and Todd strip is back next week (I'm surprised it didn't return months ago!). Hobbit themed, so it'll be to tie-in to the new movie. I assume it's a reprint.

Speaking of reprints, why on Earth was Pre-Skool Prime Minister in this week's issue? No way something so new should've been reprinted. Did someone mistakenly think it was unused? :?

I see Lew and Nigel P got namechecked in Nigel A's Corporal Clott. Two other soldiers have their surnames.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Best cover in all my years of collecting Dandy & and classic korky inside as well,the dandy is now the best its been in years with all the classics like Brassneck,beryl,puss & boots,winker watson etc,granted it does still have a few duds like Ted & the animals ,eggs files & captain hookless. This is how Dandy should have been a couple of revamps ago b4 extreme.