This weeks Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Gilly

Re: This weeks Dandy

Post by Gilly »

SID wrote:Talking of which, do we know for sure if any of the Dandy characters are going over to the Beano? I would love for the likes of Dan, Cuddles & Dimples (though I would doubt that because of Bea) and some of the new strips to move over. At the very least, it should be Dan.
Speaking of Bea she has been absent ever since Dennis has moved back to his old design, maybe that could leave a hole for Cuddles and Dimples.

I would fully expect Desperate Dan to move to The Beano because although it would feel strange you just can't lose such an iconic character like the big man himself.

Chris O'Leary

Post by Chris O'Leary »

SID wrote:Have you seen the advert in this week's Dandy?

If I didn't know better, I would say that the Dandy is just bowing out.

I can understand the logic - transfer any readers to the Beano after the Dandy finishes in print form.

But even so...
yes, in the red star bottom right, we read "we'll switch you to the Beano when the Dandy ends" and in the blue strip at the bottom "Last issue of the Dandy issued on 4th December, 2012". :(

I did see a Beano recently and thought that Dennis looked more like himself. Is it like when Plug got plastic surgery?

But £70 a year - that's twice what I spend on my mobile phone!

The "Buy the Dandy or the cow gets it!" cover is quite poignant...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Not quite. Dennis has simply reverted to his old self (although the 2009 cast is still present), but his parents HAVE had plastic surgery, despite the fact the makeover came from Gok Wan, who doesn't use it in his shows. They look nothing like they used to, and seem to have had a personality transplant too... Dad now finds some of Dennis's antics funny instead of acting as a disciplinarian. Also, Dennis's sister Bea appears to have been retconned away, she hasn't appeared since these cosmetic changes. Since Granny appeared in the strip between Gok's appearances taking the parents away and unveiling their new look, if Bea's still around, it's a continuity problem, as the Menace family are known to have problems getting a babysitter (they're damned if they do, damned if they don't!).

That advert is unusual in one very big way... no comic before has ever announced it's closure this far in advance. The marketing team must've figured "kids will know already because it was on the news, so we might as well admit it in the comic". Normally, you just get an announcement in the final issue.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I don't like Dennis Dad's his new look or him liking his Son's antics..

Roger's Dad and Mum is fine..got used to that..

Minnie's Dad not sure yet..
I understand why it was done...its when you've been used to something for so long its hard to adjust sometimes..

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Thought this was the Dandy forum not the Beano.... As for £70 a year that's a rip off

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

52 weeks of the Beano in the shops is £78. 52 weeks of the Dandy is £103.48 - give or take a couple of quid in both cases due to double issues at Christmas and the jubilee celebrations etc. Without regurgitating the arguments about why the supermarkets and WHS push the cover price up, you have to realise that £17 a quarter (the ongoing direct debit price for each of the two titles) is an absolute snip including postage - I've made this point before, but it shows how much less it costs to post a guaranteed sale comic to us than to put one on sale or return in a major chain.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I don't buy the weekly Dandy not in print form anyway as I've downloaded the Dandy app on to my iPad and this weeks is free for some reason and the Beano is free too on the Beano app and has been for the past 4 weeks now

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Great to see George Vs Dragon and Nuke Noodle back in this weeks Dandy as they have been two of my favourite strips since the 2010 Dandy relaunch.

Now if Postman Prat could return for a last hurrah I'd be very happy.

SID

Post by SID »

I would like Bad Grandad to be around for the last few issues.

A question: After the last print issue, will this website see the Dandy as retired (and merge this section with the Retired DCT section)?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

No idea! It is continuing internet-only, so... we'll see if discussion dies, but I doubt it will.

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

Good to see Winker Watson back, is it drawn by Terry Bave? To me it looks like his style?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, it's a Terry Bave reprint from the mid-90s.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I noticed Bananaman was absent this week, I wonder if this is the end of his time in The Dandy with it coming to an end and him appearing in The Beano.

Also I liked the Save The Dandy reference on the graffiti wall in Mr Meecher.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Doubt it. All the stories now are probably stockpiled and Wayne must've drawn one too few. With a paid advert (three pages advertising Madagascar) pushing Desperate Dan off the back cover and inside, this is the week they chose to omit Bananaman.

I agree about Meecher, a good reference to the Twitter hashtag.

Chris O'Leary

Post by Chris O'Leary »

Don't see a serial number on issue dated 10 October.

Poignant take on health and safety:

"SHRIEK! Shaving with a blowtorch is REALLY bad for you, Dan!"

Dan: "Be quiet, Mr. Edison. I bet I live to be a HUNDRED!"