Some Dandy firsts.

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Some Dandy firsts.

Post by stevezodiac »

I picked up some Dandys from my mum's last night and they included the first appearances of Dirty Dick, Corporal Clott and Charles Griggs Korky art. At least I remember going through these Dandys a few years back and trying to work out the first Charles Griggs on Korky, I labelled the bag the comics is in. Was I right? Also in the first Dirty Dick he has an older brother, Alfie who quickly vanished, maybe he grew up and left home. I seem to remember writing this before so excuse me if i posted the same subject a few years back.

Peter Gray

Re: Some Dandy firsts.

Post by Peter Gray »

Wow what a treat to see these...

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Sadly Steve, No 1068 of the Dandy wasn't Chas Grigg's debut on the Korky strip. He'd been drawing it a full four months by then. In some of his very early ones he does attempt to draw, Korky at least, in the manner of Jimmy Crighton but his own style still shines through somewhere. Chas Grigg's first Korky strip actually appeared in Dandy No 1052 dated 20th Jan 1962.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've eagerly awaited being corrected on that one. From the same bundle here is Dandy 1052 I'll now swap the bags over at once.

SID

Post by SID »

Brilliant! Thanks for that and the first stories of Clott and Dick. :cheers:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).