the three Dinahs

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Raven

Re: the three Dinahs

Post by Raven »

This is quite an interesting topic, I think. As it's nothing to do with the three Dinahs, I'll start a new thread!

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I really believe that investing story-time in the parent-child relationship in a comic strip is really worthwhile. In 2007-ish, Minnie the Minx was struggling badly in popularity polls. The relationship between Minnie and her Dad was a big part of what had made Minnie work and it had been a bit lost. So we made significant changes, switched artist and Minnie was back in the top 4. It works.
Very interesting info, thanks for posting that. I remember thinking around 2007 that Minnie was going through a fairly weak spell, and I can't recall many of the strips towards the end of the Tom Paterson era using the relationship between Minnie and her Dad. It became much more noticeable again after Ken took over, and you're right, the changes definitely worked for Minnie.

I recall noticing that there was, in my eyes, an unusually experimental approach to Minnie in late-2007 and early-2008. This ostensibly began with her outfit changing colour, but then Tom Paterson reworked her face quite a bit (personally I didn't like that look), and NP, Laura and Hunt Emerson all contributed strips around this time before Ken became the main artist. The timing of this makes sense to me when you mention that Minnie was struggling in the polls before then.

I think you're also right in saying that the relationships between characters, including parent-child relationships, work when used in comics. Looking back over all the Billy Whizz ideas I've had and drawn, the stories that I felt worked best always seemed to feature Alfie or at least one of his parents.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

I still instinctively think of Ken Harrison's takeover as a 'recent' change, but in fact he's been at it for quite a long time now, hasn't he? There must be a whole generation growing up with his Minnie as 'their' Minnie.

Then again, I can hardly talk - I started reading the Beano in 2004, when both Minnie and Dennis hardly ever had the same artist from one week to the next. And I never personally knew Bob Nixon's Roger or Ivy, which I'm sure is sacrilege to some.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

BeanoMark

Post by BeanoMark »

I know this comment is neither about The Three Dinahs, The Dandy or the merits of a good whacking at the end of a strip, but, for me, Ken Harrison's Minnie is also 'my' Minnie. I just think Iain's writing and Ken's drawing are a partnership perfect, she's a little girl who gets into mischief. A proper little minx. I've seen Tom's 'loud' version and for me it doesn't suit the character.

:offtopic1: (sorry)
Beano HQ

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

MMi wrote:I know this comment is neither about The Three Dinahs, The Dandy or the merits of a good whacking at the end of a strip, but, for me, Ken Harrison's Minnie is also 'my' Minnie. I just think Iain's writing and Ken's drawing are a partnership perfect, she's a little girl who gets into mischief. A proper little minx. I've seen Tom's 'loud' version and for me it doesn't suit the character.

The fiver's in the post. Thankee!

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

MMi wrote:I know this comment is neither about The Three Dinahs, The Dandy or the merits of a good whacking at the end of a strip, but, for me, Ken Harrison's Minnie is also 'my' Minnie. I just think Iain's writing and Ken's drawing are a partnership perfect, she's a little girl who gets into mischief. A proper little minx. I've seen Tom's 'loud' version and for me it doesn't suit the character.

I agree. I think Tom's Minnie was best in the earliest strips he did, as she still seemed to be more mischievous than loud, and was worst at the end (when in my opinion she became too young and less of a minx).

This is quite an interesting subject so I decided to start a new thread about it.

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/Forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=4393
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson