Dandy Annual 2013

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

dandy mad

Re: Dandy Annual 2013

Post by dandy mad »

Little Squelchy Thing wrote:It's looking like an excellent annual, will have to get hold of a copy pronto!

Also, is that a little Harry from Harry and his Hippo I spy on the inside back cover in the above photos?
Yep it is

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Lew Stringer wrote:The two copies I have are the same so the whole print run must have that error. Mind you, from a personal viewpoint I'm pleased they repeated a page rather than missed one out. That said, I hope the repeated page didn't replace anyone else's work.

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoyed writing/drawing those three Smasher pages. I'd be more than happy to do it for the weekly if required.

Incidentally, Smasher's dog Pongo appeared in the 1960s occasionally so I thought I'd bring him back for that episode, along with Smasher's old catchphrase "Run like fun!" :lol:

Lew
Oh well looks as though I won't be able to flog it for astronomical amounts in a few years time if all of em have the error :wink: It's the first new Dandy annual I've bough for donkeys years glad I did tbh

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Lew Stringer wrote:Regarding the artist of Greedy Pigg and Jocks and Geordies in the annual, it looks like Paul Palmer's work to me.
Then I'm massively jealous of Paul, because Greedy Pigg is the strip I'd have picked if given a choice! Ah, well, maybe I'll draw one just for fun...

As for the annual, I'll take a look at it when they get copies in Waterstones, and buy one for my sons, but I won't read it until Christmas day...it's a tradition!
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Great work on The Smasher, Lew - I think your version manages to capture the spirit of Hugh Morren's strips, without slavishly copying the original. Shame about the printing error in the annual though, hopefully as you say it was simply a mistake in pagination or similar, rather than in place of another strip.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've often wondered why the Badd Lads is spelt that way. Their surname isn't Badd (well it's never been mentioned) so why not just the Bad Lads?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

We don't actually know the Badd Lads' names at all. Boss, Fingers, and Knuck (short for Knucklehead) are clearly just nicknames.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Digifiend wrote:We don't actually know the Badd Lads' names at all. Boss, Fingers, and Knuck (short for Knucklehead) are clearly just nicknames.
You never know. People have stupid names in comics all the time. I like to think their full, real, given, actual names are Boss Badd, Fingers Badd and Knuck Badd. (Why not? "Cuddles" and "Dimples" are stupid names, too...)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

PaulTwist wrote:
Digifiend wrote:We don't actually know the Badd Lads' names at all. Boss, Fingers, and Knuck (short for Knucklehead) are clearly just nicknames.
You never know. People have stupid names in comics all the time. I like to think their full, real, given, actual names are Boss Badd, Fingers Badd and Knuck Badd. (Why not? "Cuddles" and "Dimples" are stupid names, too...)
Exactly. Most comics aren't stupid enough! Keep comics daft, I say. :lol:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

PaulTwist wrote:You never know. People have stupid names in comics all the time. I like to think their full, real, given, actual names are Boss Badd, Fingers Badd and Knuck Badd. (Why not? "Cuddles" and "Dimples" are stupid names, too...)
To speak nothing of Dennis T. Menace, Roger T. Dodger, etc., as introduced in the Beano Football Special...
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

A who's who of comic characters should be published giving every character's full name, date of birth - parents occupations etc. I know Plug was given a full name in his own comic but I would like that erased from the records as it was some sort of aristocratic sounding name and just didn't fit in with his Bash Street persona. Lord Snooty has a full name too doesn't he? Was it Marmaduke?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton, yeah. Plug's is Percival Proudfoot Plugsley, which yeah, does sound rather aristocratic. Some of the other Bash Street Kids have proper names as well, thanks to the text stories in Wizard. Lew Stringer's blog explains that, although I know that Smiffy's name was actually James Smith (and not "surname not given"), as it's mentioned in Focus On The Fifties. http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2008/ ... izard.html