Beryl the Peril is back more important STEVE BRIGHT IS BACK!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

-MikeD-

Re: Beryl the Peril is back more important STEVE BRIGHT IS B

Post by -MikeD- »

David Gerstein wrote:
WizzKid97 wrote:I'm very curious about Korky the Cat now - I believe after a long time of awful jokes, they've finally pulled the plug!
The new Korky looked great, but from what I've read, the jokes often could have been about any character. Even the rejected one linked here—which is actually very funny—isn't very distinctive.
I like Korky as a sly, mischievous gannet who's occasionally too clever for his own good. You know... sort of like a cat.
The rejected strip also kinda takes the rinse out of the fans, the kids, and not just the cynical and exploitative merchandising of Moshi. Sometimes we walk a fine line when writing parodies.

You're absolutely spot on with Korky's characterisation - he needs the slyness back!
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

David Gerstein wrote:The new Korky looked great, but from what I've read, the jokes often could have been about any character. Even the rejected one linked here—which is actually very funny—isn't very distinctive.
Precisely, which is why Phil was not a good artist for Korky. If the stories could suit any character then why not give him a new comic series with the same storylines - why did it have to be Korky?
Ginger wrote:You're telling me on Bad Grandad they hired Mr Fanton for his artwork?? That is a little surprising.
Not really. The stories were written in a very similar style to Andy's normal storylines - especially the later stories.
Besides, Andy is a very popular artist - note that his version of classic characters, Harry and his Hippo managed to win Strictly Come Laughing. Kids love Andy's artwork just as much as they love his storylines. He was a great find.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Nigel Parkinson and Lew Stringer both have new strips starting soon.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:As for The Sun, I've worked out how to beat their copyright protection. There's two ways. One, the simpler way, is simply to save the entire webpage to your PC. ..........
I don't buy the Sun, but I am assuming that if Steve Bright's cartoons are on its website they are also published in the paper. If that is the case, why can a scan not be taken from there to be displayed on this forum, purely as an example of his work for the paper, duly acknowledging the Sun's copyright?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I came across some issues of the Funday Times on Friday and Steve Bright drew the full colour covers. Something about a Unicorn and a Lion. (Based on the Times masthead?). They weren't full issues but I had cut out the David Law Beryl pages and the front cover was on the other side.