Beryl the Peril is back more important STEVE BRIGHT IS BACK!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Beryl the Peril is back more important STEVE BRIGHT IS BACK!

Post by Peter Gray »

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Its the best news ever..Steve Bright is a top cartoonist and should never have been let go of
..can't wait to see more of his Davy Law style and hope he can use his Bananaman style for something as well..maybe draw new Bananaman for the Beano?
His wife also does great colouring..

Welcome back Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grouphug:

Tin Can Tommy

Re: Beryl the Peril is back more important STEVE BRIGHT IS B

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I was on the sun's website recently and it seems Steve Bright is doing cartoons for the Sun. I would post an example but they are strict with their copyright (you cant copy stuff easily off the Sun's website) and I fear the wrath of Murdoch.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Good

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

It's a good mix Beryl is too iconic a character to not be in The Dandy and Steve is too brilliant an artist to not be drawing in either comic.

With this and Bully Beef and Chips returning this week makes it a good return of old favorites issue ironically just after another old favourite Korky the cat appears to have gone missing from the comic.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

No word on Phil Corbett's blog about Korky. Have you seen this rejected strip?
http://philcorbett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... korky.html

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I hope they get steve bright back on bananman for the dandy sorry current Bananaman artist if you read these but i love old school bananman style,but your stories are better on 2 pages rather than 1 as well.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Don't like Wayne Thompson's version eh? They are back to two pages now by the way.

As for The Sun, I've worked out how to beat their copyright protection. There's two ways. One, the simpler way, is simply to save the entire webpage to your PC. The image will be in the associated folder ready for reuploading. The other way, using Google Chrome, is to press F12 to bring up the console, select the Resources tab, then look for Frames>(pagename.html)>Images. In the list should be something with CART in the url. That'll be the cartoon. Click it, it'll show up on the right. Right click on that to copy the url.

Tough luck, Murdoch! :twisted:

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Some great news and one great storyline to start it off - to see Steve's artwork back in The Dandy was a real treat! I loved how they said Beryl was 'NEW!' and back - they're just trying to wipe our memories of the Dallas reprints from a few months ago. ;)

Not so sure on Wayne's incarnation of Bully Beef and Chips, the artwork is okay - not too keen on the newer style and would have much preferred to have seen Laura Howell taking on the two. I felt the story was loosely tied up and the joke wasn't funny whatsoever. Like most in-house comic stories really, eh?

I'm very curious about Korky the Cat now - I believe after a long time of awful jokes, they've finally pulled the plug!
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

There's a problem with the basic concept of Bully Beef and Chips. The one-dimensional bully archetype does not sit easily next to the knowing humour of Smart, Dawbarn and Matthews. The Dandy has become a touch more sophisticated recently. Maybe Beefy's role as a big spoilt kid with a warped sense of entitlement should be emphasised, which makes Chips the guy who just wants a quiet life. And let's have a more modern scenario than the old 'gone fishing'...

Dreadlock was always just a bit crap and still is, unfortunately....

And back on topic - it's always nice to see Steve* back and working on a decent strip!

*except...speaking personally, it's a pity he occasionally draws for the Murdoch press. It's a funny old world.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

WizzKid97 wrote:Some great news and one great storyline to start it off - to see Steve's artwork back in The Dandy was a real treat! I loved how they said Beryl was 'NEW!' and back - they're just trying to wipe our memories of the Dallas reprints from a few months ago. ;)
Could the Dallas reprints have been put in those issues to test if Beryl would be popular enough to be placed in the modern Dandy.
WizzKid97 wrote:I'm very curious about Korky the Cat now - I believe after a long time of awful jokes, they've finally pulled the plug!
Maybe, the 3 panel strips had especially bad jokes which is a real shame as Korky is almost as iconic to the Dandy as Desperate Dan.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Phil does some brilliant strips, in my opinion, but Bear Thrylls and a lot of Korky strips fell completely flat. His work often lacks the killer instinct.

In terms of sophistication, you left out Mr Fanton. I'm a bit defensive of other Andys.

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

For me, there's something more traditional about Andy Fanton's writing, though. Perhaps it's all those puns.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Ginger wrote:For me, there's something more traditional about Andy Fanton's writing, though. Perhaps it's all those puns.
Bear in mind that Bad Grandad is his only page in this week's Dandy, and it's written by staff. All his other strips so far have been written by him, though (bar the George vs Dragon story about ketchup in the 2012 annual).
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

You're telling me on Bad Grandad they hired Mr Fanton for his artwork?? That is a little surprising.
Last edited by Ginger on 18 May 2012, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.

David Gerstein

Post by David Gerstein »

WizzKid97 wrote:I'm very curious about Korky the Cat now - I believe after a long time of awful jokes, they've finally pulled the plug!
The new Korky looked great, but from what I've read, the jokes often could have been about any character. Even the rejected one linked here—which is actually very funny—isn't very distinctive.
I like Korky as a sly, mischievous gannet who's occasionally too clever for his own good. You know... sort of like a cat.