Guardian article: The Dandy Faces Closure

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Guardian article: The Dandy Faces Closure

Post by Digifiend »

Which is probably why a lot of the media seem to be assuming he'll move to the Beano. While it's certainly a possibility, there's no guarantee that anyone at all will transfer over.

EDIT: Why are they still offering subscriptions? Certainly the six month and year ones need to be withdrawn, and the quarterly one is still technically possible for another couple of weeks, but has a now-impossible one year minimum term for Direct Debit payment.
https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/Product ... 2098).aspx

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

If they intend to go online only I would guess the year long subscription would allow you to access the online only Dandy as well as receiving the print version until it ends.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:If they intend to go online only I would guess the year long subscription would allow you to access the online only Dandy as well as receiving the print version until it ends.

If indeed dandy did go online only with new material & not retr reprints is it or will it actually be possible to be able to print them off or will they not allow printing.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

When Classics folded with zero notice, they simply refunded the unpublished issues pro rata. I expect the Dandy will be the same.

I would guess they factored in the cost of refunds when they decided to close the print edition of the Dandy, and planned to announce it a lot closer to the time. The Shop side of the business took a while to be updated after Classics closed.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Judge Dredd writer John Wagner mourns The Dandy demise: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19293866

Lizo Mzimba's report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19289257

That report was quite telling - "Do you read the Dandy?" "No." "Have you heard of it?" "No." The quality is irrelevant if kids don't know it even exists.

EDIT: http://www.economist.com/blogs/blighty/ ... oys-comics

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

:headbash: Unbelievable even when I was a kid in the 90s there were many my age who had heard of The Dandy.

This is all messed up now I'm going to be read every Dandy up until December with a heavy heart that it's going to be one of the last. :(

I really do hope they can find a way for it to be successful though!

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

So the kids of today don't know what The Dandy is hardly surprising as you will have to go far and wide to get hold of one the closest stockist to me is 12 miles away....

Rasher

Post by Rasher »

PaulTwist wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Put two and two together...
...and get five.
Digifiend, you've been so off the ball with this, and even in the face of libel you still won't apologise for talking made up lies.

And I get accused of being a troll? How about you and Swirleythingy's behaviour towards DC Thomson and The Guardian? I'm attempting to keep your opinions from being facts, not troll-like behaviour at all.

Yours, however, is.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Rasher wrote:
PaulTwist wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Put two and two together...
...and get five.
Digifiend, you've been so off the ball with this, and even in the face of libel you still won't apologise for talking made up lies.

And I get accused of being a troll? How about you and Swirleythingy's behaviour towards DC Thomson and The Guardian? I'm attempting to keep your opinions from being facts, not troll-like behaviour at all.

Yours, however, is.
:x What are you talking about? What lies? The statement mentioned hacking.
We’ve heard about people trying to find out the plans by hacking into http://www.dandy.com
That's where I got the idea from. Being cynical about a quote isn't the same as outright making things up. And for the record, I would've said the same thing regardless of which paper broke the news, it's not bias against the Guardian. Anyway, I didn't even say that the Guardian were hacking, I said it appeared that DCT were saying that. Also, what does Swirlythingy have to do with it?

The subject has long since been changed, so please stop bringing it back up.

Back on topic:
When the Dandy website was blanked out, they forgot to leave a link to the iTunes app. This has now been remedied (click on the lightbulb and an app link drops down). The contact page is also still online, accessible via the app page. They haven't quite removed all traces of the current Dandy yet.

NP

Post by NP »

I recommend reading this and giving it some very careful thought.
http://downthetubescomics.blogspot.co.u ... pened.html
There are some interesting points in it.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well well, some good news among the bad.
In addition to this something else happened on Monday 13 August that went unnoticed by most. At 5pm at the Edinburgh International Book Festival, the largest literary festival in the world, The Heart And History Of The Dandy talk took place with author Andy Stanton chairing a talk from DC Thomson archivist, and 20 year veteran of The Dandy editor's chair, Morris Heggie ably helped on sketching duties by artist Gordon Tait. The talk was filmed by the camera crew that are currently filming a television documentary about The Dandy for broadcast around the comic's 75th birthday in December.
On BBC Four, I guess?

SID

Post by SID »

I was told the news the other day and had to race home from work so I could come here for verification. :(

I have been getting the the Dandy off and on (mainly on) since 1969 and was my second regular comic and, therefore, has a special place in my heart.

Of course, the current version really has no relation to the comic I loved as a kid and I have to wonder how the comic would have fared left "untouched". More than likely the writing was already on the wall. However, it doesn't seem that long ago during the pre-vamp era, that I remember the outcry when we found out that Dan was leaving the comic (after winning a fortune). Of course at the end (to everyone's relief) he stayed. But I wonder what the reaction would have been if they had tried something similar today (before this announcement of course).

But saying that, I do have to applaud DCT and its artists/writers for trying their best to keep the comic going with its three major revamps. I must admit I thought that they had hit gold with the last one which I still believe was brilliant and its new characters really did give the comic a new lease of life.

But I am glad that it hasn't gone out with a whimper (or as Xtreme) and I wish its offshoot - the e-Dandy all the best.

Nor I am saying that I won't be getting the new digital comic. I am interested to see what it will look like. But in any case, it is an end of an era and also an end for my Dandy comic collection.

I am just glad that the Dandy annual will continue and which I will definitely keep collecting.
Last edited by SID on 18 Aug 2012, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That publicity stunt you mention was almost 15 years ago (Nov 97)! Good times. I didn't find out about it in time, but I got the next three issues (the two where Dan was absent and replacements were auditioning - including Cuddles and Dimples, who later did take over the cover - and the double length birthday issue when he comes back). I was only buying the Dandy occasionally back then (was and still am getting Beano every week), but bought every issue of the Dandy from the final Xtreme onwards.

SID

Post by SID »

That long ago? A new generation (or generations) of kids.

Crivvens.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).