Lets hope Jamie Smart will still be used at DC Thomson!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

http://www.petergraycartoonsandcomics.b ... ember.html

I was thinking what is the best thing for me in the new Dandy and it has to be Jamie's comic work..its my kind of humour...great fun...silly and zany..

Gilly

Re: Lets hope Jamie Smart will still be used at DC Thomson!

Post by Gilly »

To be honest I see no reason why he should stop drawing Desperate Dan, he breathed new life into the strip with his unique humour and artwork.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, although the online Dandy is almost certainly going to only feature old material (they're using a Watkins image of Dan as the main banner and a Ken Harrison one as the Facebook icon), so Jamie can probably only continue if Dan moves to the Beano. However, I think that even if he does move, the Beano would use Dan to fill the reprint quota, and so use Ken Harrison reprints instead of having Jamie draw new material.

I do hope the Dandy artists find work somewhere though. Not just Jamie, but also Andy Fanton, Nigel Auchterlounie, Alexander Matthews...

Remember, the only artist also used by the Beano is Nigel Parkinson (Wayne Thompson and Lew Stringer have in the past, but not currently).

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Digifiend wrote:Yeah, although the online Dandy is almost certainly going to only feature old material (they're using a Watkins image of Dan as the main banner and a Ken Harrison one as the Facebook icon), so Jamie can probably only continue if Dan moves to the Beano. However, I think that even if he does move, the Beano would use Dan to fill the reprint quota, and so use Ken Harrison reprints instead of having Jamie draw new material.

I do hope the Dandy artists find work somewhere though. Not just Jamie, but also Andy Fanton, Nigel Auchterlounie, Alexander Matthews...

Remember, the only artist also used by the Beano is Nigel Parkinson (Wayne Thompson and Lew Stringer have in the past, but not currently).
Are you 100% sure it is going to be a digitised reprint comic? That will be the final nail in its coffin I know the comic in its currant form is a horrible mess but you'd think DCT would try to fix it once it got online

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Digifiend wrote:I do hope the Dandy artists find work somewhere though. Not just Jamie, but also Andy Fanton, Nigel Auchterlounie, Alexander Matthews...
It's great the way the Dandy has helped to cultivate new talent since it's last relaunch - I think that will be the lasting legacy of it's final years, especially if one of those breaks through and becomes really mainstream.
dandy mad wrote:Are you 100% sure it is going to be a digitised reprint comic? That will be the final nail in its coffin I know the comic in its currant form is a horrible mess but you'd think DCT would try to fix it once it got online
A horrible mess? It wan't that bad, was it? :D

Nobody outside of DCT knows what the new Digital Dandy will look like, but I'd be disappointed if it was all reprint. I'd be looking to commission new strips with more traditional art styles to run alongside the archive material, but that would cost a lot more money and earning real cash from digital content is proving to be the alchemist's dream of the 21st century.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

My guess is based on the design of the website - classic Dan, 1970s logo. If they were keeping the new stuff, that would be reflected, wouldn't it? And new material costs money. Archives don't cost anything except bandwidth. But it is just that, a speculative guess.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

dandy mad wrote: Are you 100% sure it is going to be a digitised reprint comic? That will be the final nail in its coffin I know the comic in its currant form is a horrible mess but you'd think DCT would try to fix it once it got online
Ah, so you're "dandy mad" as in angry about it. Now I get it. :lol:

(No currants involved in The Dandy. Only nuts.) :wink: