Dandy 75th Anniversary Special

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Dandy 75th Anniversary Special

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

The one in Southport didn't have it today, so I'll be checking the both the Liverpool stores next Tuesday...
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I've been told by the bloke in the Manchester WHS it's not out until the 13th September the Beano summer special number 3 is in there if anybody from greater Manchester is struggling to get hold of one....

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Got it! Prospect Centre branch didn't have it, but I picked it up from Whitefriargate.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Any good?
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Stories on every page, although due to issue 1 being reprinted - on stiffer paper - at the back of it, the first Bamboo Town and Hungry Horace strips appear twice. Yeah, very good.

NP

Post by NP »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:The one in Southport didn't have it today, so I'll be checking the both the Liverpool stores next Tuesday...
Which are the two Liverpool stores? Liverpool One and...?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Lime Street station - only a small one, but I've got both of the Beano Summer Specials in there this year when they weren't in the bigger one!

NP

Post by NP »

Oh, I was hoping there was an undicovered big WHS!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

No such luck, sorry :lol:

Just remembered, there's one in Central Station too!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Because of the Olympic games I recently started going home from Cannon street BR and tonight, as I emerged from Cannon Street tube, I looked across the road and, for the first time, noticed a branch of Smiths. I went inside and my first thought was that it was only a small branch with just papers and sweets but then I noticed racks of magazines and my eye was caught by the New Yorker Magazine (a good source of cartoons). As i replaced it on the shelf out of the corner of my eye I caught the unmistakable logo of the Dandy from the 70s/80s?. On looking through the special I noticed that the reprint of the first Dandy has four pages missing. The reprint isn't a separate removable section but the last 24 pages of the special.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Any idea which 4 pages have been left out?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

16, 17, 22 and 23. Thank goodness for page numbering! OK, why were those four pages omitted? And if someone has the Art and History book, could they please identify the content of those pages? :(

blaing

Post by blaing »

Pages 16 snd 17 was the prose story "The Two Brave Runaways", and pages 22 and 23 was the joke page, Boaster Billy (Page 22)

Page 23 was Wig and Wam * the Skookum Twins, Podge and Mugg Muggins, the Crazy inventor

*while similar, they should not be confused with the characters Wig and Wam that appeared in Buzz. (probably a revival?)

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

The word "Rastus" on the joke page is the only issue I can think of its reprinted in the 75th anniversary book and in the late 70s reprint of the first dandy too

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Finally got one from the WHS in piccadilly station Manchester on the way home and it's got those jet powered umbrella men in it too!