The Final Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: The Final Dandy

Post by Digifiend »

What annoying advert? Maybe AdBlock blocked it. :)

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

It was a Persil advert, on for 30 seconds, couldn't skip it! :( Really need to get this AdBlocker

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Easy to get, and free. I'm using Chrome, and you'll find that version top of the list here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/sear ... k?hl=en-GB
It also exists for Firefox.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Could this be the cover of the final issue?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YmHmmrhniuI/U ... _Large.JPG

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Evidently. Looks like next week is the last appearance of the current logo then, as well the final appearance for the majority of the current roster (Secret Agent Sir definitely, this week's ends with To Be Concluded. I also guess that most of the reprints will be ending next week).
https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/Product ... 2352).aspx
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... turns.html

SID

Post by SID »

The last issue's cover looks good.

Does anyone know what logo will be used on the new Dandy Digital then?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I'd guess it'll be that same one that the final print issue uses, which is already used on the annuals and merchandise. The Twitter background (attached, it's perfect for a wallpaper!) has a desert theme instead of the question marks seen on the main website and Facebook. So if that logo is used, it won't need to be replaced.
Attachments
dandywallpaper.jpeg

blaing

Post by blaing »

rossmac wrote:Looking forward to this too, hoping it will be a bumper issue. Like Bruce, I've ordered mine through dct. Can't trust my 'local' newsagent to get it in.
Oops. I Jumped to conclusions a bit early. They haven't stopped distributing the Dandy.

I have a feeling DCT ships out the issues to us.
Last edited by blaing on 30 Nov 2012, 01:11, edited 3 times in total.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Do you know if the Dandy / Beano was printed seperately in Australia / New Zealand or would they be shipped across? Do they have different prices or publisher details printed on the actual comics?

Just an curious thought, I used to collect Guinness Books and liked to see what differences were printed outside the UK.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They get the same ones we do. Take a close look at the barcode. Underneath in small print, this week's Beano says NZ $5.90, AU $4.65. Despite being 1p cheaper than the Beano in the UK, the Dandy was 10 cents more expensive in New Zealand and the same price in Australia.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

*best Frank Sinatra impression*

The end is near, and now we face... The Final Curtain

Preview by Nigel Parkinson. No spoilers if you read the Next Week page in the previous issue.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

I think I've just found out who the special guest is, announced online a few moments ago perhaps? Just incase you don't won't it spoilt, follow this link to the Daily Mail;

http://bit.ly/VkeMBM

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I will not spoil it, but I'm happy to say that you can expect a mixture of reprint and new strip for the Top 75, and a few cameos - no clips, it's all complete strips, ranging from single row to double page spread. Ken's pre-2004 Dan makes a welcome return (without Little Bear, unfortunately), and Craig and Michelle pop up once or twice.

The first issue reproduction is not complete. Two of pages 14-17 are missing, as are pages 22-23.

On second thoughts, I'm going to discuss the Digital Dandy in a new thread.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Oh dear, I hope it will be all sorted in time ref. printing of the first edition?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I think it's deliberate, actually!