The Dandy versus Dandy Xtreme

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

SID

The Dandy versus Dandy Xtreme

Post by SID »

Sometime after Dandy Xtreme revamped into The Dandy back in 2010, I then read that The Dandy had lost half its readership.

The question I would like to ask is:

Did this is happen after the 2010 revamp or while the comic was still Xtreme?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Re: The Dandy versus Dandy Xtreme

Post by Digifiend »

Both, I think. The rot set in before Xtreme. :(

starscape

Post by starscape »

I believe the massive drop happened after the Dandy was reintroduced.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

And the same thing happened after Xtreme was introduced. They should never have launched Xtreme in the first place. The true comic fans ditched it when they added the game reviews and TV and movie features. The fans of that type of material ditched it when it went back to a traditional format, and due to bad marketing, the true comic fans mostly thought Dandy had already folded, and so didn't come back. When the closure was announced, I saw lots of comments to that effect, including one on a BBC Newsround report. Fact is, they were losing readers from the mid 90s at least. Xtreme backfired hard, and post-2010 suffered from poor awareness, scuppering it's chances of recovery before that version even began. If they don't sort out the marketing, the digital Dandy will go the same way.

SID

Post by SID »

Thanks for that, guys.

That was what I had suspected and talking about market awareness, I have noticed that DCT has stopped advertising the digital Dandy in The Beano. Plus if you go into the subscription section of DCT and look for The Dandy, all you can get is the last print issue. There is no mention of the digital Dandy at all.

So no way of informing potential readers of the digital version. It does look like that DCT has not learnt their marketing lesson.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, digital Dandy was only advertised in the Beano in the week it launched. And that's over two months ago now.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I bought a copy of Dandy Extreme a year or so back- and I just did not care for it. However, I thought perhaps Thomsons were aiming at the type of young audience who watched stuff like `Dick & Dom in da bungalow` So, I thought maybe it would thrive, though I didn't like it myself; but, seemingly this did not work.
A Face unclouded by thought.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Second hand? Xtreme ended in 2010.

r3tr0_gam3r

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

alanultron5 wrote:I bought a copy of Dandy Extreme a year or so back- and I just did not care for it. However, I thought perhaps Thomsons were aiming at the type of young audience who watched stuff like `Dick & Dom in da bungalow` So, I thought maybe it would thrive, though I didn't like it myself; but, seemingly this did not work.
I remember when it was still on sale, I had thought the same. Although I never bought it regularly (only a couple of issues) I could tell from the issues I had looked at that it really wasn't to my liking. However, like you said, I thought it may be the sort of thing today's children might enjoy. Obviously we were either wrong, or it just didn't thrive due to marketing (or lack thereof).

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Digi! Obviously time flies! I certainly bought it in newsagents so it must have been 2009 or thereabouts!
A Face unclouded by thought.