The dc thomson bumper fun book

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

dandy mad

The dc thomson bumper fun book

Post by dandy mad »

Ive just been on thatsbraw.co.uk and seen a book titled the dc thomson bumper fun book in the other books section and was wondering if it was worth tracking down as it is a sort of company history of the very secretive thomsons empire

stevezodiac

Re: The dc thomson bumper fun book

Post by stevezodiac »

I got it decades ago and it is a weird shape, sort of like those War Picture Library Summer Specials, tall and narrow. Not sure what the content was now as haven't looked at it for about 25 years. I also managed to wangle a copy of the Daily Telegraph magazine from about 1974 where a reporter went undercover into the world of DC Thomson. I just wrote to the Telegraph and asked for a back issue (this was a few weeks after it had been published, no chance now). They sent it to me with an invoice for about 27 pence. It spoke of meeting editors in shadowy doorways like in a Harry Palmer film.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

You could not make that up the writers of spooks should get up to dundee and see thomson secret service for themselves

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

the BUMPER FUN BOOK' was released in 1976, and I picked it up in a discount store in the early 80s.....essentially, it's written by ex-THOMSON staffers/rival journalists with respective axes to grind, and fairly venimous in it's anti-THOMSON stance in parts...

Nevertheless, this book provided me with the names of many artists who I knew by style only [rare, valuable info in those pre-web days], and much rare data on DUDLEY WATKIN'S background; this is where I learned his BROUGHTY FERRY home was called 'WINSTERLY', a name I've never forgotten.

I once loaned this book to IAN GRAY, who, quite unaccountably, had never heard of it.-----this book is worth a read, but is definately driven by cynicism and watered-down bile; the only book-length study I ever read on DCT, however.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

It also contains a couple of articles by social historian Owen Dudley Edwards on the Thomson comic titles and boy's papers which are very artsy-fartsy in their criticism. An irritating stance from a man who makes the mistake of thinking that both the Dandy and Beano were first published in the middle of WWII as, when counting back from the small amount of issues he had for reference and assuming 52 issues per year was obviously unaware of the fortnightyly publishing schedules that existed in the period 1941-1949. The book is still an absorbing read overall though with the main chapter by George Rosie, expanded from his earlier Sunday Times magazine article 'The Secret World of the Comic Kings' being of particular interest.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Thank for the info kashgar,stevezodiac and ispyhhhguy it makes me want one even more just hope it dosnt take 4 years like it did to get dc thomson firsts

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Ive got my copy today and with what ive read about how thomsons didnt fully acknowledge the death of the great dudley dexter watkins was shameful and downright ignorant

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

as I said earlier, I find it quite an ANTI-THOMSON book [though they definately praise DUDLEY WATKINS]------tell me what you think of the overall book later, DM.......if I recall correctly, the going rate for a page of comic artwork when this book was published was 25 quid!!!!!

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Well ive read it and it is anti-thomson in parts the foreword by thorntons & dickies w.s. Made me laugh george rosie must have put the wind up the thomsons kilts to get the lawyers involved. The people involved with the book ie ex employees didnt have a good word to say about them and portrayed the bosses as evil mill owners who treated there staff with contempt and did thomsons phones really have lables on them saying speak softly and say yes please

Raven

Post by Raven »

Eight years on... this book's usually set at quite a high price, so I was pleased to win a copy for £6.00 + p&p today. I've been intrigued by it for some time, especially that George Rosie chapter.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Let us know your verdict, Raven.

Whatever the motive of the writers, it is intruiging reading for comics buffs.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Raven's £6 + p&p is a very good price for this scarce volume. In the past I've sold them for £25 each at book fairs. The scans below are of the copy that I bought direct from Paul Harris Publishing on 23 January 1978. It cost me £4.14 (£3.75 for the book, and 39p for p&p). Click on the images to enlarge.
Attachments
BFunBookfront.jpg
BFunBookrear.jpg

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Phoenix wrote:Raven's £6 + p&p is a very good price for this scarce volume. In the past I've sold them for £25 each at book fairs. The scans below are of the copy that I bought direct from Paul Harris Publishing on 23 January 1978. It cost me £4.14 (£3.75 for the book, and 39p for p&p). Click on the images to enlarge.
Interesting! What does Mary Cadogan have to say, in particular?
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I think you would prefer to read the article, comixminx, rather than a summary of it, so I've scanned it for you. As it is on seven double pages I will need three posts. Here are the first three pages.
Attachments
cadoganartic1.jpg
cadoganartic2.jpg
cadoganartic3.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Now the second batch of three.
Attachments
cadoganartic4.jpg
cadoganartic5.jpg