Unusual adventure stories like the talking ball

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

The Beano seems to have the well known adventure stories..e.g. Billy the cat...General Jumbo...Q bikes..Tom Thumb..Jimmy and his magic patch...Shipwreck circus...etc..

In the 70's.....
But The Dandy had ones which were very unique amd wacky and maybe forgotten a bit but really good........Boy from Lilliput
Ben was the first visitor to Lilliput to discover the small people which Gulliver discovered 250 years ago...

74...the talking ball
Chippy Chaplin discovered a talking ball.....and ran away from his gipsy gudian...

A lot of Dandy stories are about running away.. :)

Mystrey Dick ran away...with Blackie the cat......

Super Sam and boris the slave...aliens here...

any remember these..and fun stories they were in.....any ideas of the artists....

Spunky the spider looks like the same artist as Brassneck...

Lew Stringer

Re: Unusual adventure stories like the talking ball

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote: 74...the talking ball
Chippy Chaplin discovered a talking ball.....and ran away from his gipsy gudian...

A lot of Dandy stories are about running away.. :)

Spunky the spider looks like the same artist as Brassneck...

Yes, Bill Holroyd drew both. He also did Jack Silver and Screwy Driver amongst others.

I think it was Morris Heggie or Euan Kerr who, at a comics convention, said The Dandy always had a slightly darker edge than The Beano. It's right. That, to me, was its attraction. The artwork of Jack Glass on The Crimson Ball and The Stinging Swarm gave an eerie atmosphere to the comic. The other Dandy adventure strips of that period (The Red Wrecker and The Umbrella Men by Charlie Grigg) had an theme of danger to the public at large that never seemed to be present in The Beano's General Jumbo or Q-Bikes.

I read both Dandy and Beano avidly as a kid but The Dandy was always my favourite. The mix of stories seemed more varied and it appeared to be very, very slightly more "grown up" than Beano. (In as much as children's comics can be.) As a result the world of The Dandy in the 1960's seemed much more exciting than that of The Beano during that same period.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Thanks Lew

The Dandy bullys...biffs...bangs..nicking food..boarding school..and older characters e.g Greedy Pigg...Desperate Dan...

I prefered The Beano as a kid
.though these days I like them both the same....The Dandy revamp has been great...

With adventure strips going on much longer Brassneck...Black Bob...Winker Watson and Dudleys Desperate Dan reprinted up to 1984.........it was more wordy...more involved...very different to The Beano......

A change of editor does change things....Winker Watson artist and Black Bob must have finished in the mid 70's and reprinted after that....

My favourite as a kid was Black Bob....the kids in that were very naughty...always having to be rescured....great artist and writer...