What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by stevezodiac »

No I was responding to big bad bri's suggestion.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

stevezodiac wrote:No I was responding to big bad bri's suggestion.
No, I know - I just took the prompt to go and look at it once again :)
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i know its a lot of work for Al and the other mods but was thinking we could make this the come to site for british comics as the gcd has more american covers than anything.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

big bad bri wrote:i know its a lot of work for Al and the other mods but was thinking we could make this the come to site for british comics as the gcd has more american covers than anything.
Bri, we get where you are coming from, but when you think that there are at least 21000 British comics (if you want my maths PM me) and Comic Vine has already uploaded most of them, it means that we are on a hiding to nothing to replicate their work.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I went to DeeCon today as I knew the Commando team would be there and the always nice to meet Ian Kennedy. As I have some doubles I am about to swap, I got 10 of them signed by Ian and paid him for that kindness. I then ended up doing a double take as I was so focused on Ian, I did not realise that the Commando crew had come loaded for bear with a good 500 to 600 back issues. Some of these were available as singles for a quid and some of them were in packs of five for slightly more. When I saw three of these packs were loaded with pre-decimal issues, I had to get them. So I have now added issues 44, 50 and 187 to my collection for a lot less than I ever expected to pay for them! I picked up another 5 packs and a pile of singles. Then I saw that Ian had his sketch of the mighty Phantom going for an absolute bargain so Mr Kennedy got some more of my hard earned and I walked away with a gorgeous A3 pencil drawing of the F4 Phantom circa 1980.

DeeCon? I had a blast today. :D

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

My complete year of Cor! 1971 arrived.this was one of those titles where i only ever saw the annuals as a child didn't know there was a weekly comic as it ended when i was 3 and even then i loved the art on jasper the grasper and the gasworks gang.so i may well have to try and finish this sewt before buster and whizzer and chips.coincidentally the names of my 2 cats are buster and whizzer lol

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Really pleased with my purchases this week as although I'm concentrating on selling currently, I'm still managing to source some great additions to my collection.

First up with images:
The Adventures of Mark Tyme #1 - Spencer - 1967
Whacky Rodeo #1 - Transatlantic Press - 1947
Space Travellers #1 - Donald F. Peters - 1950 (?)

I also bought the Captain Britain Summer Special from 1980

I also picked up 2 lots of 1940s one shots (mainly) from Compal's recent auction which should add around 20 new ones to my collection.
Attachments
WR.jpg
ST.jpg
MT.jpg

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

colcool007 wrote:
big bad bri wrote:i know its a lot of work for Al and the other mods but was thinking we could make this the come to site for british comics as the gcd has more american covers than anything.
Bri, we get where you are coming from, but when you think that there are at least 21000 British comics (if you want my maths PM me) and Comic Vine has already uploaded most of them, it means that we are on a hiding to nothing to replicate their work.
I just hope you guys realise that Comic Vine probably won't be around forever (which is a shame, uploading to that site is easy, you don't even have to download the files in order to reupload them, you can just use a web address). CV has really gone downhill in the last year or two, look at their front page and you'll find that they no longer update much. Their podcast is gone too. The rot started when they were taken over by Gamespot. If the site announces a shutdown, which I would not be shocked to see at all at this point, someone's going to have a mass download job to do (several GB of files, I bet). GCD is a wiki too, so if you don't like that site being mostly American comics (and there is plenty of European stuff on there too), you can do something about it.

SID

Post by SID »

Digifiend wrote:I just hope you guys realise that Comic Vine probably won't be around forever (which is a shame, uploading to that site is easy, you don't even have to download the files in order to reupload them, you can just use a web address). CV has really gone downhill in the last year or two, look at their front page and you'll find that they no longer update much. Their podcast is gone too. The rot started when they were taken over by Gamespot. If the site announces a shutdown, which I would not be shocked to see at all at this point, someone's going to have a mass download job to do (several GB of files, I bet). GCD is a wiki too, so if you don't like that site being mostly American comics (and there is plenty of European stuff on there too), you can do something about it.
Will be sad if CV ever went as I do refer to it often in referencing covers.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Post by SID »

Just received three issues of The Topper from the year 1973.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Today's post delivered yet another swap (another 14 Commandos) and I am now at 3700 issues of Commando. I know I have another 259 inbound so it is possible that I could break the 4000 barrier this year.

And someone has sent me their copies of Achtung! Commando so guess what I am going to be scanning this week! :D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I went to one of the biggest car boots on the East of Scotland and scored me a pile of Commandos that were all in the 5000s including issue 5000! Woo-hoo!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

ordered volume 3 of the striker book

judomole

Post by judomole »

hook jaw archive arrived today
I really like that they have left the colour in (all that blood :shock: ) and we finally get to see what would have happened in the October 23rd and 30th issues
if you have not got a copy yet I would highly recommend getting one
best price at the moment is at wordery
https://wordery.com/hook-jaw-archive-pa ... 15a0f5a285

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

judomole wrote:hook jaw archive arrived today
I really like that they have left the colour in (all that blood :shock: ) and we finally get to see what would have happened in the October 23rd and 30th issues
if you have not got a copy yet I would highly recommend getting one
best price at the moment is at wordery
https://wordery.com/hook-jaw-archive-pa ... 15a0f5a285

I think those unpublished strips have previously been published in Martin Barker's book Action: The Story of a Violent Comic (also published by Titan, but long out of print).