Parallel worlds in girls' comics

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Parallel worlds in girls' comics

Post by Tammyfan »

I am wondering what parallel worlds have appeared in girls' comics and where. So far I have:

World where Nazis won WW2 - The Sentinels from Misty
World ruled by magic - The Girl Who Never Was from Jinty
Worlds ruled by greed, sport, vanity, crime, intellect and fear - Worlds Apart from Jinty
World ruled by bullying - The Clock and Cluny Jones from Tammy aka Grandfather's Clock from Misty annual 1985
London where mobster gangs rule - Hard Mercy from M&J
Alternate drought-stricken Britain - Jassy's Wand of Power from Jinty

peace355

Re: Parallel worlds in girls' comics

Post by peace355 »

I can think of stories where girls find themselves in magical worlds, but struggling to think of ones (other than what you mentioned) of actual parallel earths.

One that does come to mind is "Mirror Image" a Bunty picture story library, there a girl finds a way trough a mirror to try out different lives (one she's rich, one she's not smart, one she's a dance competitor).

Tammyfan

Re: Parallel worlds in girls' comics

Post by Tammyfan »

I've just remembered a PSL, "Who is Astra?", who turns out to be the evil side of Esther, and she comes from a parallel universe. Esther even has terrifying nightmares of that alternate world where her home is shabby and seedy, and her parents are abusive. Astra quite understandably is trying to escape that world but is trying to get Esther to replace her there.

Updated to add: Mandy PSL 62, reprint 211.