Faceache preview/review

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Faceache preview/review

Post by Lew Stringer »

koollectablz wrote:Hmmmm, personally I think this is a misstep, as much as I like his posters as a fan, I can't see the market for this in the 'real world'.

At most this'll be exactly the kind of book that the average person picks up, flips through, smiles at a few pages then replaces never to be looked at again.

I'm quite surprised they've been picked tbh, but then once you get past the fact they don't have the rights for the readable stuff previously mentioned I guess that's what you're left with. Pity.
Depends. If it's promoted as an art book it could work. Not everyone buys books just for a story. Personally, I think his Creepy Creations etc are closer to prime Ken Reid than his strips of the same era so if I had to choose, I'd buy that over a Hugh Fowler book any day.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Oh I'll be buying it, I just think its going to be a tough sell as it'll have no readable content and no 'name' characters at all to even lean on.

Awesome book if you're a fan of Ken, but very little interest elsewhere. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and they sell enough to warrant more like them.

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

I will be buying it too but I think it will have a limited appeal (I hope I'm wrong) . Its a strange choice and sorry Lew I would rather have Hugh Fowler and Jimmy Jinx anyday.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Marketed just to comic fans in comic shops Creepy Creations and World Wide Weirdies might have a limited appeal, but it seems to me that they have the potential to break through to a much larger audience for imaginative children's books who wouldn't normally think of buying a comic strip collection.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

They'd be better removing all the colours and releasing it as a colouring in book for £4.99, not as if the colours as printed were very good anyways.

That way the collectors and fans see it in print and there's a reason to buy it as a stocking filler for kids too.

Maybe have a special 'coloured in' version available for a premium in a limited ed of 100 for £49.99.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I don't know about £49.99, but it would be nice to see those illustrations completely recoloured by somebody like John Ridgway who's making such a good job of Ron Turner's Space Ace strips (though personally I must admit that I love seeing Ken Reid's artwork in black & white).