What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

Valiant Summer Special 1974 - only 3 more to go
Tex Willer #1 - Thorpe and Porter 1971
Buffalo Bill NN - Streamline 1950
Five Star Western #1 - Scion - 1951
Attachments
Tex.jpg
BB.jpg
5star.jpg

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Picked up about 90% of the full run of Misty, so i'll have to decide whether to try and complete the run or resell them - if individual issues are too pricey I'll probably resell.

Also a load of 60's Batman and Detective that seemed like a good deal but we'll see when I've read them and then try and sell.

Also some Buster Adventure Library (all Robin Hood), and a run of Tammy #1-28.

Oh and a full run of Toxic - which I'd completely forgotten I'd bought until they turned up in the post.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And thanks to a deal with a fellow collector, I have filled in another four Commando gaps and picked up two more Fleetway Picture Library Holiday Specials.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Adam, that's in interesting wee selection. If it's of interest,and I'm sure you know this, it's an Italian reprint. Tex is enormously popular in Italy and other European countries and I'm sure there is a Turkish movie, but they made movies about lots of characters and heroes. What you and anyone else might not be aware of is that 2018 marks the 70th anniversary of the character.The guide doesn't know how many issues of Tex were reprinted in the UK, listing 2-?, but as I have a #13, Top Sellers, who, by the way, were the publishers might have issued more. Anybody else help with this?
Buffalo Bill. Not to be confused with the McLoughlin original stories by Boardman, seems to have been a reprint from Youthful and, if you can confirm it's 28 pages with Doug Wildey art, then it seems to have appeared in 1952. However, there was also a 68 page edition by Streamline, so any info. you can give me will be very helpful.
If that Five Star Western is what I think it is, you're in for a treat as these comics had art by Norman Light, Ron Embleton and one had a Jim Holdaway cover. Only thing is, according to the guide, only #3 & 4 were numbered. So, again, can I bother you for more information please :roll:
By the way, Tex appears in a few different comic formats and Bonelli releases a Giant at certain times. The one that always impressed me greatly was illustrated by Joe Kubert and it is just superb to look at. Here's a bit about the issue incl. a couple of pages (sorry but the page is in Spanish):-
http://comicritico.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... ubert.html

and this is Bonelli's Tex page:-
http://www.sergiobonelli.it/sezioni/10/tex

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Speaking of Tex, New Zealand artist Colin Wilson drew a Tex special. Around 250 black and white pages, fairly roughly finished but excellent work.

The title translates into English as The Last Rebel. I know of versions in German and Dutch, and I assume it's available in Italian, but I have it in French, and even my schoolboy French was good enough to follow the story.

Well worth a read if you like westerns, like Colin Wilson's art, and can read foreign.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

[quote="paw broon"]Adam, that's in interesting wee selection. The guide doesn't know how many issues of Tex were reprinted in the UK, listing 2-?, but as I have a #13, Top Sellers, who, by the way, were the publishers might have issued more. Anybody else help with this?
Buffalo Bill. Not to be confused with the McLoughlin original stories by Boardman, seems to have been a reprint from Youthful and, if you can confirm it's 28 pages with Doug Wildey art, then it seems to have appeared in 1952. However, there was also a 68 page edition by Streamline, so any info. you can give me will be very helpful.
If that Five Star Western is what I think it is, you're in for a treat as these comics had art by Norman Light, Ron Embleton and one had a Jim Holdaway cover. Only thing is, according to the guide, only #3 & 4 were numbered. So, again, can I bother you for more information please :roll:

I thought you'd like them Paw! I have no idea regarding the Tex Willer series but the GCD also has a #11 so there are obviously a few.

The BB cover is the same as the Youthful #8 so you are probably correct with 1952 although the GCD has it as 1950. It does have 28 pages and definitely isn't the bumper comic that Streamline produced. It's not numbered so I have no idea how it fits with any others and I can only see one other cover on the GCD and they say that is #4 but they have the Bumper as #1.

The Five Star Western hasn't arrived yes but I know it isn't numbered and I'm hoping it's the first issue as that's what it's down as on the GCD but I'm not convinced. It should be with me within the next couple of days.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I've made a bit of a horlicks about the Buffalo Bill, I'm afraid. :oops: Should have checked CB+ (other sites are available and DCM is one of the good ones.) Here's the original Youthful BB #8:-
http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=32765
You'll see from the indicia, it's 1951, and the art, well, no Wildey. However, #9 has Doug Wildey art, so comparing the two issues will clear up just what Streamline reprinted. The British guide does have a number of errors.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Past month or so I have been making fortnIghtly visits to the charity shop where I pick up mainly 80's comics.Today I got ---
Impact annual JAGUAR (1992)
Marvel DAREDEVIL the man without fear (1985)
Marvel GHOST RIDER (1983)
DC the WARLORD (1982)
At a £1 each nothing special but good solid standard bread and butter comic reading matter

Picking up on a point about western comics .
Sometimes western legends can be exaggerated,
I like to think that maybe an aging William Cody with failing eyesight was out riding one day with an army indian scout and pointing across the prairie said "are those horses?"
To which the indian scout replied "no, buffalo Bill."
Later with much laughter over the incident back at the fort,William Cody was nicknamed Buffalo Bill. :D

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course, strictly speaking they weren't horses or buffalo - he should really have been called Bison Bill! :)

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

In Birmingham we wash our hands in a bison.

CharleyBourne

Post by CharleyBourne »

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

CharleyBourne wrote:Anyone here win this today?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 25010b4378
I saw them last week and decided against them as I wouldn't have managed to pick them up! £80 was a good deal for the buyer

CharleyBourne

Post by CharleyBourne »

Adam Eterno wrote:
CharleyBourne wrote:Anyone here win this today?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 25010b4378
I saw them last week and decided against them as I wouldn't have managed to pick them up! £80 was a good deal for the buyer
Yeah had a dabble but was at work so missed the auction it was only down the road from me. :roll:

blaing

Post by blaing »

Bought today my usual weekly dose of Beano (No. 3901) at the Nextra newsagent at the Northern end of the Morayfield shopping centre.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

blaing wrote:Bought today my usual weekly dose of Beano (No. 3901) at the Nextra newsagent at the Northern end of the Morayfield shopping centre.
Just out of curiosity, Bruce, given that I don't collect The Beano, how close to the current issue in Britain is 3901?