Budget week, do you remember?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Budget week, do you remember?

Post by abacus »

philcom55

Re: Budget week, do you remember?

Post by philcom55 »

I had a Bayko set. Lego was so much easier! :/

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:I had a Bayko set. Lego was so much easier! :/
I preferred Betta Bilda, which few people seem to remember now.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

On talksport last week they asked for odd things you used to play cricket with. Someone said a plank of wood and the hand grenade from a Johnny Seven gun. I remember the adverts in the sixties and wished I could have had one.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

stevezodiac wrote:On talksport last week they asked for odd things you used to play cricket with. Someone said a plank of wood and the hand grenade from a Johnny Seven gun. I remember the adverts in the sixties and wished I could have had one.
...A plank of wood? :shock: ("When I were a lad we dreamed of owning a plank of wood...!")

Actually, they had a Johnny Seven gun on display in the paper shop at the top of our road one Christmas, and I remember drooling over it with my face pressed against the glass almost every day. Never did get one though! :(
Last edited by philcom55 on 20 Nov 2017, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

stevezodiac wrote:On talksport last week they asked for odd things you used to play cricket with. Someone said a plank of wood and the hand grenade from a Johnny Seven gun. I remember the adverts in the sixties and wished I could have had one.
Nothing wrong with playing with a plank of wood. It could be a cricket bat or if you had been watching some American cartoons, it could be a baseball bat, a bat for rounders, a gun of any description from Cowboys and Indians to a laser death ray for any SF story. Or it could be a spear for deep in the jungle. It was also great for getting things out of local rivers and burns without getting wet!

Which was great when you had your mates to play with but when on your tod, it was back to the comics or the ZX81!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Ah, you had a Spectrum? I had a Commodore 64. Considering the loading times of those old systems, I'd say it back to the comics AND the ZX81 - you could probably read a few pages while waiting for a game to load!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Living in Surrey Docks we had loads of wood yards around us so had a plentiful supply of sticks to use as rifles or to make bows from. The arrows were long twigs from trees.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Back in the late 50s my Dad used to make me these throwing arrows out of a stick about 18 inches long, split at one end to take a flight (usually an old tab packet), sharpened at the other end with a bit of wire twisted found for weight. Then you'd get a piece of string and sort of wrap it round and then you could throw it for miles. Its a wonder I never blinded anyone.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

In the early 1960s our house was located in the middle of a building site which meant that we were surrounded by loads of discarded building materials, including planks, wooden offcuts and nails of all shapes and sizes. As a result we were able to construct fleets of battleships bristling with gun turrets which we used to play 'Pooh-sticks' in the local brook!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Digifiend wrote:Ah, you had a Spectrum? I had a Commodore 64. Considering the loading times of those old systems, I'd say it back to the comics AND the ZX81 - you could probably read a few pages while waiting for a game to load!
I graduated to the Spectrum in the mid 80s as I had started on the ZX81 and yes you often could read a comic or at the very least a few stories during the loading times! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

abacus

Post by abacus »

As a kid we lived on a newly built estate bordering farmers fields.Damming brooks playing pooh
sticks ,climbing trees these were regular activities.With a stick, poking cow pats seemed to be fun
but I learnt poking a wasp nest with a stick was not such a good idea. :)
Last edited by abacus on 21 Nov 2017, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...No. I learned to my cost that it wasn't much fun sitting on an ants' nest either - especially while wearing short trousers! :shock: