Maria Dembilio

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

comixminx

Maria Dembilio

Post by comixminx »

I have had a request from a Spanish contact as to whether I could supply any scanned stories by Maria Dembilio. The contact in question (Jose Ruiz del Amor) is in contact with the artist and would like to be able to translate one of her works and send it on to her as she is still around to enjoy it. Can anyone help with this? She was not a Jinty artist and I don't think I have any candidate stories to scan.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

peace355

Re: Maria Dembilio

Post by peace355 »

She did a lot of M&J stories

http://girlscomicsofyesterday.com/tag/maria-dembilio

Here's the first episode of Let Me Be!, which is what I had closest on hand but I don't have all episodes of that story. Are you looking for a complete story or just variety of samples? Let Me Be! appeared - M&J: #295 (04 January 1997) – #300 (8 February 1997)

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Oh thank you! I will send it on. I'm not really sure whether he wants more or not - given that he would have to translate it all, if I send him much more then it would take quite a long time for him to get through, so I think I will send him this episode first and see what he says (and hopefully that will give him enough).
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

max1202

Post by max1202 »

a Great find, thank you! :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

comixminx wrote:scanned stories by Maria Dembilio
'Scanned Stories' implies more than one episode of more than one story. I would be able to translate them into Spanish but not until I get back from Cornwall in early January. I leave here in ten minutes.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Phoenix wrote:
comixminx wrote:scanned stories by Maria Dembilio
'Scanned Stories' implies more than one episode of more than one story. I would be able to translate them into Spanish but not until I get back from Cornwall in early January. I leave here in ten minutes.
I wouldn't worry about it until / unless del Amor comes back to me and asks for more, Phoenix. Thanks as ever, of course...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I won't worry, Jenni. Meanwhile I have plenty to do here. As it isn't raining so far this morning, and yesterday's raging wind has died down, I will most likely take my grandchildren, Lois (11) and her brother, Alex (8) on the train to Truro as they seem to want to spend some or all of the money they got for Christmas without too much delay. A 'ladies first' policy will probably mean that the first port of call will be Claire's Accessories. Alex may want to go to a toy shop but as he can find his way round an Argos catalogue, that may be his preferred destination initially. I don't need anything. I brought three novels with me, Expelled From St. Madern's by E. M. Channon, which I have read, Follyfoot by Monica Dickens, which I am half way through, and A Circling Star by Mara Kay, the first couple of chapters of which I have read out of curiosity. From a secondhand shop here in Hayle I picked up two Penguins, The Terror of St Trinians by Ronald Searle, along with Molesworth by Geoffrey Willans and Searle for a pound the pair, And in a different shop I picked up The Billy & Bunny Book for a tenner. I won't know which year the annual is from until I get home but I would guess sometime in the Forties.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:I will most likely take my grandchildren, Lois (11) and her brother, Alex (8) on the train to Truro as they seem to want to spend some or all of the money they got for Christmas without too much delay. A 'ladies first' policy will probably mean that the first port of call will be Claire's Accessories. Alex may want to go to a toy shop but as he can find his way round an Argos catalogue, that may be his preferred destination initially.
Well, we can always be wrong. Lois only spent a few minutes in Claire's Accessories, but she did spend a good bit longer in a shop called Smiggle that was just across the road. I'd never heard of it. She didn't buy anything there anyway but Hawkins' Bazaar got a few bob out of the pair of them. They took out £40 each, and Alex blew the lot on a car about a foot long with a hand-held device that moved it hither and thither. Lois spent just short of £6 on a game of chess. Apparently she had been introduced to it during lunchtimes at school. As I was the only family member who knew the rules, you can probably imagine just how many games I played right up to last night (I came home today). She wasn't very good I discovered, so in every one of our games I decided to point out to her what her options were for every move, and asked her to try to figure out before making the move what I could do on my next move. As a result I lost every game except the last one. I'll certainly be interested to learn how successful she is when she gets back to school because I can't see her getting much help there if there are quite a lot more enthusiastic first years. Before we went home they spent a good half hour on a gigantic plastic slide in that main square where Wetherspoons is. It was £2 each for as long as they wanted. Needless to say I was in charge of coats and shoes. We'd gone to Truro on the train, which took 27 minutes, even with stops at Camborne and Redruth. Going back though we took the bus, which took an hour and a half, but that was better than the train even though we had return tickets because there was no rail service between 14.33 and 17.23, and it was raining. Their dad picked us up from the Foundry Square bus stop in Hayle.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:And in a different shop I picked up The Billy & Bunny Book for a tenner. I won't know which year the annual is from until I get home but I would guess sometime in the Forties.
I still don't know what year the annual was published. I've checked the Billy & Bunny section in Bill Lofts and Derek Adley's Identification Guide to the D.C. Thomson and John Leng Children's Annuals 1921 to 1965 but none of the cover descriptions match the annual. I'll describe the cover as Ray may well be able to date it, but I still believe it's from the forties.

A male, which I take to be Billy, dressed in a yellow jumper and leggings, a red scarf and green pants, is riding a brownish horse from left to right, and jumping a low fence made up of orange-coloured bushes. On the other side of that horse is a white horse, which has spilled its rider, which presumably is Bunny, and a songbird can be seen on a thin branch. Near the bottom of the page a white dog wearing a collar is chasing a yellow and orange striped cat, which has green eyes a bit like Korky's.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I've had a chat on the phone with Ray re. the dating of my Billy And Bunny Book. He has the annual, so he will be letting me know in the near future. Assuming that the information in Derek Adley and Bill Lofts' Identification Guide To The D.C. Thomson and John Leng Children's Annuals 1921-1965 is accurate, not a given if the sheer number of errors in their book THE HOTSPUR - A Catalogue 1933 - 1959 is any guide, The Billy And Bunny Book was produced for the years 1947 and 1948 but the cover details were unknown to them at the time they produced their aforementioned Identification Guide. It is frankly impossible to know where to place any blame for the inaccuracies because there was a clear division of labour, Derek writing their books, Bill doing the research in the British Library, which at the time was at the back of the British Museum. I met him by chance outside the building once. He said he knew I was in there as he'd seen various bound volumes of The Wizard on a desk as he was making his way out for a break. I took him to a cafe in Museum Street for a coffee and a chat. I bought us a scone each. It was quite amusing to see him wrap his up in his serviette and put it in his pocket for later. Perhaps it was all he had for his tea that day.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Dembilio also drew "Mouse" from Tammy and many complete Tammy stories 1982-1984.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

A brief update on my granddaughter Lois's chess performances at school. She FaceTimed me yesterday to let me know that she is now winning more games than she is losing. So, well done so far. Now it must be onward and upward.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Phoenix wrote:A brief update on my granddaughter Lois's chess performances at school. She FaceTimed me yesterday to let me know that she is now winning more games than she is losing. So, well done so far. Now it must be onward and upward.
That is good! How old is she, remind me?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

comixminx wrote:That is good! How old is she, remind me?
Eleven, but she will be one of the youngest in her class at St. Ives Secondary School as she doesn't turn twelve until August 4th. I'm planning to go down there within the next fortnight for about ten days. I suspect that I need the break more than she does. I no longer get any half terms!

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

An update on this: José Ruiz del Amor has now come back to me, asking for more scans of stories drawn by Mario Dembilio. Ideally he would love it if were possible for people to supply the subsequent episodes of Let Me Be! (which as Peace clarifies above appeared in M&J between #295 (04 January 1997) and #300 (8 February 1997)). He would be very happy to be sent on any of the episodes, regardless of completeness of story.

His aim is to then translate the story into Spanish (which he will do himself) so that he can share it with the artist herself, as mentioned above.

Anything that anyone can supply will be gratefully received; I appreciate it is very near to Christmas and I'm not sure if that means people will have less time available than usual or whether, conversely, people are off work and more able to think about things beyond the usual daily grind (which is the case for me, at any rate).

And of course all best Christmas wishes to everybody!