What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:issue 1 of Jag with free gift.i will not bother trying to collect this as it doesn't look very interesting :lol:
Jag was the first Fleetway comic I had regularly. I wasn't aware of it until a few weeks into its run, when my grandad bought me a copy. I loved it! Admittedly, it's not up there with Valiant, but it has some nice full colour work by Geoff Campion on Custer, (and later, Joe Colquhoun on Football Family Robinson), and strong black and white art by Jesus Blasco on The Indestructible Man, and Eric Bradbury on The Mouse Patrol.

Admittedly, my main liking of the comic is due to nostalgia and sentiment but I think it still stands up as Fleetway's last good comic of the 1960s. I have about half of the 48 issue run, and won No.3 recently on eBay.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Lew Stringer wrote:
big bad bri wrote:issue 1 of Jag with free gift.i will not bother trying to collect this as it doesn't look very interesting :lol:
Jag was the first Fleetway comic I had regularly. I wasn't aware of it until a few weeks into its run, when my grandad bought me a copy. I loved it! Admittedly, it's not up there with Valiant, but it has some nice full colour work by Geoff Campion on Custer, (and later, Joe Colquhoun on Football Family Robinson), and strong black and white art by Jesus Blasco on The Indestructible Man, and Eric Bradbury on The Mouse Patrol.

Admittedly, my main liking of the comic is due to nostalgia and sentiment but I think it still stands up as Fleetway's last good comic of the 1960s. I have about half of the 48 issue run, and won No.3 recently on eBay.
I picked up a few recently making 17 in all that I have including the first 3 with their gifts. You're right, they're not Valiant but I've quite enjoyed them.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Back in Melbourne for the next two weeks or so, and that means I will be visiting my favourite haunt in Flinders Street, the Basement Bookshop.

I made the first of my raids this year, and picked up this afternoon, the Knockout Book of 1958, and a Tiger Tim annual from 1955.

Also bought today from eBay, a 1980 Whoopee! Summer Special.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Well, not a purchase exactly, but I have shifted a pile of doubles to a fellow collector and in exchange for 45 Warlord issues, I am getting 37 Commandos so another load of gaps filled and they range from the 300s up to the 2000s.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

blaing

Post by blaing »

Second visit to the Basement Bookshop (of about three visits this holiday) and today, I bought the 1952 Knockout Fun Book.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

better copies of whizzer and chips 1 & 2 plus the rest of 1969 needed just wish i hadn't bid so much in phil's auction last year for iss 1 lol but i'll be putting spare 1969 issues on ebay later 7 out of 11 for the year.
Last edited by big bad bri on 18 Feb 2018, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

2 more Hotspur annuals, 1968 and 1974

blaing

Post by blaing »

a bit more recent selection of annuals today, picking up two consecutive Dandy annuals (2008 and 2009)

there were a few Chatterbox annuals there (1929, 1923) but I will leave them for another time.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And that's another swap done. 3 Commandos are heading back to these shores while I send 5 overseas to our Antipodean cousins!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Received a 1949 Weekly News today that I'd won on eBay. It has a half page Black Bob strip.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Found a copy of the Scream and Misty Halloween Special at the newsagent in Traralgon.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

blaing wrote:Found a copy of the Scream and Misty Halloween Special at the newsagent in Traralgon.
just i time for the recently announced 2nd one

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Got a bound volume of 'The Children's Newspaper' #1-#52 published by Amalgamated Press 1919/20.

I usually do most of my reading in bed from about 10.00pm, but this is a bit big and heavy to hold for long. I'll have to make other plans.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

A few odds and sods:

Warrior Spring Special 1996
Flying Aces - Streamline 1 shot - 1956 (below)
Battle Squadron #1 - Streamline 1956
4 x late Spiderman comics in the 600s that I didn't have from 1985
Space Fiction Gemini 2000 #1 - MV Features - 1960ish
4 x Battle Summer Specials including one from a fairly new comic shop in Angel, Islington called Atomic. £4.20 was a bargain!
Little Peelers stickers from Thunder #3
1 more Starblazer comic meaning I still need 6 for the set of 281
6 more Wham comics
2 more Jags
Attachments
Flying aces.jpg

SID

Post by SID »

Recently got a year's run of Battle (1982). The year when it became more of an adventure comic.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).