'The Wooden Sheriff of Skeeter Creek

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

'The Wooden Sheriff of Skeeter Creek

Post by colcool007 »

Can anyone help to find this story. I think it was late 1960s and potentially in the Hotspur but other comics can't be ruled out.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Re: 'The Wooden Sheriff of Skeeter Creek

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:'The Wooden Sheriff of Skeeter Creek
Can anyone help to find this story. I think it was late 1960s and potentially in the Hotspur but other comics can't be ruled out.
The information you seek, Col, can be found in entry 479, the three-line summary to which is on page 61 of your copy of THIS WAS THE WIZARD. It covers the 1958 repeat in THE HOTSPUR under the title The Rocking Chair Sheriff, and the 1971 picture strip version in THE HOTSPUR, which reverts to the original title.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Thank you Derek. As this strip was the direct inspiration for a story that appeared in Sandie or at the very least one of the 'opposition' comics, I believe it is the 1971 iteration that I need to dig out.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:this strip was the direct inspiration for a story that appeared in Sandie or at the very least one of the 'opposition' comics
If you could post the title of the serial that may or may not have appeared in SANDIE, Col, other members more versed in the output from IPC than I am may be able to identify it for us.

A propos of a different matter, could those members who have PM'd me their interest in buying one of the remaining copies of FREE GIFTS IN THE BIG FIVE, please bear with me for a few more days as I have my son Andrew and his two daughters, Aurora (6) and Kelsey (3) staying with me for an indeterminate while, and because they have far more energy than we do, and yet expect us to chase them repeatedly round whichever Play Zone we take them to, we are exhausted but they are not. I think it'll probably be Southport tomorrow, and a joint effort on Aurora's holiday homework in the evening. By joint I mean me and her. She can't spell for toffee but she loves being read to, so last night I read her The Gingerbread Man. Tonight it was Sleeping Beauty. Tomorrow will be a role reversal reading experience because she will have to read Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs to me. She doesn't know about these rearrangements yet, mainly because I couldn't get her attention away from a toy, for want of a better word, which consists of a piece of plastic moulded into the shape of a toilet, minus the seat, but with a red gooey substance that's a full cousin to slime, that when she pushes it all fully into the toilet shaped container, and then pushes her fingers hard into the goo, it produces a fart noise, and peals of laughter from her, which frankly is contagious. I'll probably start tomorrow evening's reading time by getting her to spell 'fart', after which she won't realise that she is working.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The story that was inspired by The Wooden Sheriff of Skeeter Creek was The Incredible (or it could be Amazing) Miss Birch which may have appeared in either Sandie or Tammy.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:The story that was inspired by The Wooden Sheriff of Skeeter Creek was The Incredible (or it could be Amazing) Miss Birch which may have appeared in either Sandie or Tammy.
The precision in this post, Col, is just too much for me to handle so early in the day.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:The story that was inspired by The Wooden Sheriff of Skeeter Creek was The Incredible (or it could be Amazing) Miss Birch which may have appeared in either Sandie or Tammy.
The precision in this post, Col, is just too much for me to handle so early in the day.
Considering this is the information that I got off the writer of the tale, he's not doing badly for something he wrote over 45 years ago!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:The story that was inspired by The Wooden Sheriff of Skeeter Creek was The Incredible (or it could be Amazing) Miss Birch
I look forward to your update, Col, when you feel confident that you can provide an unequivocal answer. Please don't blame the writer whose memory may be on the blink. Members really only feel comfortable with facts.
Last edited by Phoenix on 13 Apr 2018, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:Members really only feel comfortable with facts.
Speak for yourself Phoenix. I enjoy the search and the suppositions/clues, just as much, if not more, than the result/fact. Any other snippets of clues/thoughts that may help us get to your answer Col?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Col, I found a quote from Pat Mills saying "John Wagner and I wrote “School of No Escape” in Sandie. (That was not bad) And “The Incredible Miss Birch” for Sandie. (Not our finest hour!)"
Last edited by Adam Eterno on 08 Apr 2018, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Oh, do you have a link to Pat's interview. And before anyone asks, it is John Wagner that is providing us with the vague clues.

Derek, we have had requests on here before for information about strips with even less accurate information and I, for one, enjoy expanding my comic knowledge in these searches and I have not seen complaints then.

We have even had requests where the originator has been adamant about the date, the comic and the story and it has then turned out that they have been wrong on all three accounts! Why are you not comfortable with the requests for assistance now?

On that note, I am still looking for a War, Battle or Air Ace Picture Library with an Italian hero from the late 1960s (1969 onwards) or early 1970s as that was Pat and John's one and only contribution to the picture library genre!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:Oh, do you have a link to Pat's interview.
https://jintycomic.wordpress.com/tag/in ... iss-birch/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Why are you not comfortable with the requests for assistance now?
To be honest, Col, I am not aware of not being comfortable, but if that is the case I can only put it down to the fact that my stress levels are going through the roof. What with arranging my impending move to a new house in Cornwall, trying to determine what I will need, or not need, to take with me, how big a van I will need to hire, and worrying about whether my collections will be safely delivered. Then, there's the small matter of coping with all the legal issues, and even wondering whether deep down I really want to go there or not. After all it is always easier to do nothing. Of course, having sold my house STC, and bought one STC in Hayle, I obviously am going to go to Cornwall, so an upheaval is inevitable, but that doesn't mean that I won't miss Lancashire and Merseyside. My best friend has been in Arrowe Park hospital on the Wirral for a fortnight but I didn't know that until he rang me yesterday. However, I should be able to go over to visit him on Tuesday because Andrew will be taking Aurora and Kelsey down to Cornwall tomorrow to stay with his mother in St. Ives for the best part of a week, the rest of his holiday in other words. It is nevertheless worth pointing out that as far as I am aware I have never refused to respond to requests for assistance either on ComicsUK or on Lorraine's Girls' Comics Of Yesterday site, whenever I have been able to clarify some matter or simply answer a question. For example, your request for information in this very thread on The Wooden Sheriff Of Skeeter Creek.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Derek you stated in your previous message to the board that members only feel comfortable with the facts, so you must have felt uncomfortable to state that.

I am aware that you have responded to most requests for assistance with information, but I am also aware that most request come in with only the vaguest of hints as to what people are looking for and getting hard facts is a rarity.

We all deal with issues outside of our digital lives and to a certain extent we look to comics to escape some of these issues. But as I want to grow as a person, I also want to grow as someone who has knowledge about comics. I don't just want breadth of knowledge, but also depth in that knowledge. I want to be able to say that the editors of Valiant included John Wagner, or that Commando is now looking for its' second Heritage Brands editor and hopes that D C Thomson make an announcement soon. My shelf of comic reference books has now grown into shelves of comic reference books.

However I am also aware that I am not as much of a guru as I would like to be which is why I will rely on yourself as an expert on the D C Thomson's boys papers, on Kashgar as an expert on the rest of DCT, Steve Holland for Fleetway, Helsbel and Tammyfan for the girls' comics and David Roach for the artists of the girls' comics and the Fleetway Picture Libraries. I also rely on Adrian Banfield to be my memory for when I can't recall when Tough Duff illustrated by Jim Watson started in Hotspur.

Now I have found The Amazing Miss Birch which ran in Sandie from at least issue 16 in 1972, can normal-ish service be resumed?